Chapter Twenty-Four

Depuis le début

As we get to her car, she gets out and hugs us both.

"Kat, I've missed y'all so much!" She says, hugging Peeta and I excitedly.

We smile, "We missed you both too." Peeta says, nudging her playfully.

"Carter is in here." She says, opening the back door of her car.

"She's sleeping but she probably needs to wake up and stretch. She's been asleep since we left."

She unbuckles her and picks up her chunky body, as she stretches. Carter barley notices the change and goes back to sleep.

Bristol hands Carter to Peeta who looks like he's been itching the hold her, which I know that he has.

"Which apartment?" I ask her curiously, hiding my belly with my arms.

I forgot a jacket because it's pretty warm out today.

"The one with it's door open." She says, looking up.

That's when I realize she's moving into Peeta and I's old apartment.

"Peeta, look." I say, pointing to the open door.

He looks up and smiles.

"It's our old apartment."

"Oh my goodness. Is that really?" Bristol asks us excitedly.

We both nod.

"You can go up and check it out before I put stuff in if you want."

I look at Peeta, hoping he will agree.

"Come on." He says, handing Carter back to Bristol.

"We will be right back." Peeta says.

I hold his hand as he helps me up the staircase.

Thankfully, we don't live here anymore.

These steep stairs would kill me if I had to go up and down them all the time.

When we make it to the open door, I freeze.

The last time we stood here is when we were leaving for District 5 and I was bound and determined to stay here with my mother, letting Peeta go without me.

It's something that I've never told him because I know even to this day, it would hurt his feelings.

It was when Gale told me he loved me and when I thought I wouldn't have anyone family but my mother. I remember how I felt all alone, that if I left my mother here she would die too and I remember arguing with Gale about saying I wouldn't have anyone else and I mentally scold myself.

That was probably one of the stupidest things I've ever made myself believe.

When I got back, Peeta was sitting against the wall crying because he thought I was missing.

I guess I have run away before.

When we walk inside, instantly, I'm thrown into the middle of memory lane and I'm being hit by cars.

There's the little kitchen that we cooked in together almost every night and the taste of every meal we made, makes my mouth water.

The lonely nights in the living room while I pushed Peeta away to cry and to stare at that damn wall for months after Prim's death.

I remember the first night we stayed here, it was the first night we officially slept in the same bed, in our underwear.

We've seen each other naked since and actually slept together.