六 / 6. Facing Fear

"There is a skeleton in every house."

~ Chinese Proverb

"Wait." Cheng pulls his hand away from the doorknob. "It might be a good idea to lose the ring--at least for now."

"Too bad," I sigh, slipping it off my finger. "I didn't get to wear it for very long."

His eyes fill with guilt. It makes me feel awful.

"Don't worry," I say quickly. "I made the choice to come here. It's not your fault. I don't want to cause any problems between you and your parents."

"We'll tell them eventually. No matter how they'll react, it won't change how I feel." He puts his arm around me. "And just because you're not wearing the ring does not mean that we are no longer engaged."

Feeling a little less sullen, I tuck it inside of a dresser drawer. Cheng returns to the door and gestures for me to follow.

"My parents are waiting downstairs."

A wave of vertigo almost knocks me off balance, and I have to use the railing to steady myself. My breath grows shorter with each step. Too afraid to look at them directly, I keep my eyes fixed on the floor. The first thing that comes into focus is a pair of deadly six-inch heels.

As I remain frozen, Cheng's stepmother decides to make the first move. "Miss Jade, we've heard so much about you." Her hair is pulled into a tight bun and her thin lips are curved into a small smile. She speaks with perfect English--a skill developed through years of international fashion tours. "I am Xiulan. If my reputation precedes me, then I hope it is for all of the right reasons," she says, winking.

I receive her dainty hand as if greeting a royal. She is certainly dressed the part. Her outfit is white, but it does not match the rest of the household's mourning attire. The top's single shoulder strap is a tad too sexy for that. It is probably one of her own designs.

Although she is stunning and at least a decade younger than Cheng's father, it would be wrong to assume that she is merely a trophy wife. Xiulan Fashion is as much of a household name as Fu Tech. I imagine that her success is the reason Boqin Fu deemed her worthy of marriage.

Speak of the devil.

From the corner of my eye, I see him sizing me up, but I pretend not to notice.

"Isn't she beautiful, dear?" Xiulan taps her manicured nails against his shoulder. I turn my full attention to him, waiting for the verdict.

"Beautiful," he says, extending his hand. Not wanting to appear fearful, I grip it firmly. "And strong," he adds with a half smile. "It is a pleasure to meet you." His friendliness is reassuring, but I know that I'm not off the hook yet.

"It is an honor and privilege to be here, Mr. and Mrs. Fu. I apologize for imposing on you like this."

"Nonsense." Xiulan waves her hand in the air. "We appreciate you for supporting our family during this challenging time. And since you're here, I could use your assistance with making the funeral arrangements."

"I'd love to help."

"Wonderful." She clasps her hands together, and for the first time, I believe that winning their acceptance is possible. "We'll start by sending out the invitations. But right now, you should rest."

"Yes," Boqin agrees. "Make yourself at home."

I'm not about to push my luck, so I take the opportunity to retreat back into the guest room. The scarcer I make myself, the better. I attempt to sleep off the jet lag in the meantime, but being separated from Cheng makes me restless. After a few hours, I step out into the hallway and wait until a maid notices me.