开始 / The Beginning

"The winds of the heavens shift suddenly; so does human fate."

~ Chinese Proverb

"安息 / Ānxí (rest in peace)."

Jade did not understand the meaning of this word nor did she understand the reason for her mother's sorrow. The girl was barely four years old. Death had never cast its dark shadow upon her before, but from that day forward, it would loom over her, always waiting for a chance to reveal its cruelty.

"I love you, Grandmother," Jennifer said, drying her eyes with a handkerchief. "Join our ancestors and rest in peace." She then grabbed her daughter's hand. It was Jade's turn to confront their elder.

Across from them sat Jennifer's mother, Julee. Her grief was far deeper, though she retained composure for the sake of the others. "Do not be afraid," she told her granddaughter.

The youngest of the four finally understood the reason why they were there: to say their final goodbye.

Barely clinging to life, Great-grandmother Yan reached out with a trembling hand to wipe the tears away from Jade's cheek. "Do not cry for me, child," she said. "I go to a place where I can finally rest."

"Why do you have to go?"

"I have served my life's purpose, and my journey is now over," the old woman answered weakly. Although she had grown blind with age, her gaze was so powerful that it seemed as if she could still see her. "Now, your journey is just beginning. The path may be treacherous and forever winding, but you will find the way forward. Be strong, Jade. For you carry great power within you."

Jade was so focused on absorbing her great-grandmother's dying wishes that she did not notice her mother shifting nervously beside her.

"Grandmother, please do not to put this burden on her--"

"Daughter, let her speak!" Julee scolded.

"It is a burden you will not bear alone," Yan said calmly. "Even if no one else believes, you are the last hope that they shall pray for. Show them," she said, trying to stifle a cough. "Show them who you are--ack, ack!"

"Mama!" Julee cried out, but there was nothing she could do to save her mother from death's embrace.

"Promise me," Yan said, squeezing Jade's hand with her last bit of strength. "When all others fail, you must fulfill your destiny. Promise me."

Bravely, Jade replied, "I promise," but she did not comprehend the enormous task that lied ahead. Someday, the integrity of such a vow would be tested.

Satisfied by the girl's answer, Yan lied her head back on the pillow and released one final breath. Her eyes, once inexplicably green, faded completely.

"Ānxí (rest in peace), Mama."

Jade choked back a sob, remembering her great-grandmother's words. She would be strong, and she would not fear the destiny that awaited her. The innocent child did not have the words to express this steadfast determination, but she could feel it.

Within her heart, the fire was kindled.

~☯~

A few weeks after the funeral, Yan's family members were left with the task of organizing her belongings. Precious keepsakes were placed into storage while clutter was thrown away. Jade, her mother, and her grandmother set out to sell the rest.

In New York's Chinatown, they sought the help of a notable antique shop owner who collected rare items from around the world. Like so many of his strange artifacts, Mr. Wanju's origin was a mystery. Jennifer knew that he was a shrewd businessman, but he was also honest. She needed someone who was both truthful and good at keeping secrets if she wanted to fetch a fair price.