Chapter 40: Milkshakes and Reunions.

Beginne am Anfang

"Oh, I'm meeting someone," he tells me.

"I don't mean the shop, I mean here, in town?" I clarify.

"Oh, I don't know, I guess I missed home," he shrugs.

My phone's screen lights up right beside my milkshake cup, Olivia's name flashes on the screen and I smile.

I pick up the phone from the table and I catch Mason's suspicious look.

"Hey, baby." I press the phone against my ear.

"Hey, hello, uh, I'm so sorry I didn't call earlier." She sounds excited and out of breath.

"Nah, it's cool, what's up? How are you?"

"I'm okay, I guess, you?"

"I'm good,"

"Where are you? Home?"

"Not exactly, I'm at Shake n' Sip, drinking milkshakes and passing time."

"Alone?"

"No, with Mason Kress, heard of him?" I wiggle my brows at Mason and he snickers to himself.

"Oh, the football guy that graduated?"

"Yes, the football guy that graduated." I laugh at Mason.

"Alright, I'll see you tomorrow then,"  she says.

"See you tomorrow," I respond before hanging up.

"Sandra?" He asks.

"No, we broke up," I answer.

"You broke up with Sandra?" He sounds surprised and I don't blame him.

"I know but this girl I'm dating? She's the real deal, man, she's really special," I say proudly with an ear to ear smile.

"Good for you, man," he tells me then his eyes travel behind me when the bell above the door jiggles, "There she is!" He raises his hands in the air.

I twist my head to see who it is and fuck, I wish I hadn't.

Shit, shit, shit.

"That's who you were waiting for?" I whisper to him before she reaches the table.

"Yeah, why?" He senses my discomfort.

"Nothing," I grip the back of my neck, looking out the window.

Mason stands up and pulls Cass in for an embrace, he lifts her off the floor and smacks a kiss on her cheek which makes her laugh.

"Oh my God, dude, what's with all the muscles." She touches his arms once they pull away from each other.

"Whatchu talking about, I've always had muscles," he winks at her.

"Right," she giggles, turning her head to look down at me. As soon as our eyes meet, her smile immediately disappears.

"Hey," I shoot her an awkward wave.

"Hey," her tone is barely audible as she takes Mason's side of the booth and scoots over to leave room for him

"Oookay, I see you guys have already met," he looks at her then me as he sits down beside her.

"Where's Garrett?" She asks him, ignoring his previous statement.

"Kentucky, last I heard," he scratches his head like it was a tricky question.