Cassi nodded, yes, she had completed all her exams.

"Excellent. She'll be here any moment, so don't worry. They won't take the girl from your hands," Lucius taunted with a malicious grin.

"Oh, shut up!" Narcissa pleaded, exasperated. "You can't go to Azkaban!" she said in a panic.

"There's no alternative, Narcissa. The Dark Lord..." Lucius shuddered, "He's furious with me."

"That..." Narcissa started, but Lucius covered her mouth. "Are you insane, woman?!" he huffed irritably. "Take care of your girl and don't get involved in any trouble with the Aurors."

Cassi looked at him with an arched eyebrow.

"Take care of them while I'm away, Gaunt," he bid farewell before heading towards the mansion's Floo network.

(...)

Narcissa tried everything to get Cassiopeia to eat, but she simply couldn't. Nothing would go down... She felt nauseous as she recalled Sirius' death, a blind fury tormenting her. Narcissa cradled her in her lap, making gentle circles, trying to persuade her to eat, when a loud thud caught their attention.

Noctua stepped out of the fireplace amidst a flurry of leather robes and wild, long curls. As soon as she saw Cassiopeia, she rushed towards her, ignoring Narcissa's protests as she practically pulled her away from her embrace.

"My little mischief-maker," Noctua cried.

Cassiopeia didn't react well and pulled away abruptly. "You lied to me," she said coldly, and the pain in her mother's eyes made her retreat against Narcissa.

"Princess, I can explain. Please, allow me," Noctua pleaded, approaching more cautiously. "Could we have a moment of privacy, Narcissa?" she asked, looking at the woman.

Narcissa reluctantly acquiesced, moving away. Cassi held her wrist and kissed her, seeking one more moment of comfort. She entwined her fingers in Narcissa's hair and hugged her close.

"It's going to be alright, love," Narcissa whispered in her ear before leaving the room.

Her mother looked incredulous, watching the two of them, seemingly ready to glare at Narcissa for touching her baby like that.

"Since...?" Noctua began to speak, but Cassi interrupted, taking a seat.

"It doesn't matter," she cut in, wiping away her tears.

"Princess... I'm so sorry," Noctua wept, crouching in front of her daughter. "I'm sorry for all of this. I promised Regulus I'd keep you safe, but I don't know if I can," she sobbed.

"Are you a Death Eater, Mother?" Cassi asked through her own tears.

"It's more complicated than it seems, my love. I promise," Noctua lowered her voice, looking around. "Everything I've taught you all these years... Love, you know my thoughts on pure-blood supremacy," she pleaded.

Cassi blinked, thinking.

"Are you...?" but then she stopped, not daring to speak that aloud with the walls around them. She just hoped her mother understood.

Noctua vigorously nodded her head.

"It's the right side," she gave a small smile, and Cassiopeia felt a weight lifting off her shoulders.

Her mother was on the side of the Order.

"Cassie..." Noctua sighed, "You know Minerva is your godmother, but you've never met your godfather," she said.

Cassiopeia blinked through her tears.

"Dear, it was never official, but Regulus promised that if he had a child..."