Chapter 2: The House of Black

The burrow was a far better home than Wool's orphanage; for a start, it actually felt a home. It held that same sort of warmth that the Gryffindor common room did - it even had the red colours to boot. Tom, if he could change just one thing, would be the amount of red; it could do with emerald green and silver, in the boy's mind.

   He appeared right in their fireplace, the family of redheads - and Harry oddly enough - sat at the table. 'Tom dear! you arrived!' called Ms Weasley, wrapping the boy in a big hug, much to his surprise.

   'Hello, Ms Weasley - thank for allowing me to stay' Tom said, charmingly. 'Well of course, dear - come, have a seat. Breakfast is ready' she said.

   Tom knew it immediately; he loved the woman dearly - she was far maternal than Ms Gilford.

   A flurry of 'Hello, Tom's' came from the table; seemingly, Ron had already told them about him. The boy kept his suitcase on his person, his now dry all-black cloak covering his orphanage clothing, as he sat down next to Harry and Ron.

   The family soon broke back again in loud, slightly chaotic, conversation between them. It was enough to cover the rumble of Tom's stomach with the smell of the food emanating from the kitchen.

   'you look ever so gaunt dear! do they not look after you in the orphanage?' asked Ms Weasley.

   'I am afraid not, Ms Weasley' said Tom. The woman frowned, loading Tom's plate with a mountain of food.

   'thank you, Ms Weasley' said Tom, salivating at the plate of warm food before him. 'eat up, dear. We head to Diagon alley soon' said Ms Weasley. Tom froze slightly at the information, but smiled politely nonetheless to the Weasley mother.

   'of course, Ms Weasley'.

   And so Tom gorged himself with the food on his plate, mopping it up within minutes. The speed at which he ate, made the Weasley's laugh.

   'Merlin, Tom! you've beaten all of us' said Fred Weasley, referring to himself and the other Weasleys, as well as Harry, who'd yet to finish their food.

   'that's a record, mate - surely' said George, leaning over the table, and patting Tom on the shoulder.

  'get back on your seat, George Weasley! and leave poor Tom alone' said Ms Weasley, seemingly with eyes on the back of her head. The redhead laughed with his bother, as the two began to move onto Harry, pestering him about his muggle family, the Dursleys.

   'hello - I have not had the pleasure in meeting you formerly' said another Weasley, standing before Tom, his hand outstretched for a handshake. He spoke robotically, and rather pompously. So this must be Percy Weasley

   Tom, putting on his usual charm, taking Percy's handshake; 'we have not. My name is Tom Riddle - it is lovely to meet you'.

   Though, by now, Fred and George - with Harry, Ron, and Ginny laughing behind them - were next to Percy; 'oh, yes, mighty splendid to meet you old chap - my name is Percival' said George.

   'oh yes - capital fellow' said Fred. The twins shook hands vigorously, as Percy's face went red.

   'now boys, leave your brother alone. Your father will be here soon enough' said Ms Weasley.

     And so, breakfast continued; until Mr Weasley burst through the window, suitcase in hand wearing the same sort of tattered robes as Ms Weasley

   'morning Weasleys!' he called, kissing his wife on the cheek before settling back down on his chair. An assembly of 'morning dad' and 'morning Mr Weasley' came from the room. Tom, of course, stayed quiet.