Chapter 9: The Philosopher's Stone

The excitement of adventure was not to be trifled with - and not to be forgotten either. Though Tom's school year had not, by one's furthest imagination, been boring, the boy had seldom felt true adventure; well, not since the astronomy tower at least.  And so tonight would be different. A lot different.

    Or, at least, Tom thought so as he tightened his Slytherin tie up his neck, in a tidy knot, before his mirror. Never would the feel and sight of the brilliant Slytherin colours bore Tom. Truly the best Hogwarts house. 

      'off you go, Bruna' said Tom, petting his brown snake. She hissed at him, but he kept his gaze firm. 

       'no' she replied. Tom's piercing brown eyes bore into hers. Eventually, the brown snake slithered under Tom's bed. 

    At the turn of midnight, the lights of the common room were all turned off, though a few turned on upon Tom's entrance into the front room. The anticipation grew inside the boy's stomach, as the left the common room and into the castle - like he had done, past bedtime hours, many times before.

    The usual calmness of the thousand-year-old-castle remained, even though the current circumstances were anything but. The climb to the third floor was that way too, the stairs carefully gliding around as Tom entered the hallway. Though, the quiet, as he got closer and closer to Fluffy's room, began to cease as he heard the golden trio talk overtly loudly, though they stopped as soon as they saw Tom come into view. 

    'there you are' said Harry, relieved. 'Did you think I would not turn up?' asked Tom.

     'It doesn't matter; lets get on with it' said Hermione. The three boys nodded at her. 

     Tom went to open the lock of the door, but found it slightly ajar. He turned back to the other three, whose nervous sentiment only increased. 

     And there Fluffy lay, their three heads asleep soundly as a harp played a calming tune by itself. 'You forgot to tell me about this' whispered Tom to Hermione. The three behind him did not dare move, making Tom sigh, his inclination confirmed; they wanted him to do the dangerous stuff. 

     'Snape is going for the stone as we speak; we need to focus' said Hermione. 'bloody hell' said Ron.

    The trapdoor below the dog could only just about be seen - but it was enough of a margin nonetheless. Treading carefully, Tom kept his wand out in case he had to send the three headed dog through the wall. The boy had to tread carefully, which was fine for he weighed no more than a feather - the perks of a starved orphan boy's body had benefits too, which he still possessed even with the food at Hogwarts, where Tom stuffed himself with every chance he got. 

    Gingerly, Tom opened the trapdoor, keeping his eye on Fluffy, who seemed unfazed for the time being. Slowly, Tom beckoned the golden trio forward - seeing as he needed to make sure they survive. Fluffy wakes up, and they're gone for. 

    Hermione, who went down first, screamed as she fell down the empty column. Harry tensed up as he went down next; he screamed too. Ron had a grim expression as he jumped down too - he screamed as soon as he began to fall. However, soon after Ron left, the harp stopped playing music. Tom did not dare look up at the rising Fluffy as he jumped down the empty stone column. 

    Keeping tight lipped, Tom met with Ron, Harry, and Hermione struggling against the plant surface in which they all landed on. Soon enough, Tom felt the restraints wrap around his legs and arms. 'We're sinking!' cried Ron.

    'Hermione?!' exclaimed Harry, noticing Hermione had sank far into the plant. 

    The girl cried as she sank whole. Tom was mortified as the girl disappeared. 'Jesus Christ!' shouted Ron.