Chapter 4: Returning to Hogwarts

Avada Kedavra.

    A powerful spell - able to finish a duel in a matter of seconds. In no way can it be blocked. 

    The perfect spell; if only it was not an unforgivable curse, then Tom would have found his new favourite spell. It killed too - it was most useful. Tom was determined to practise it - the question simply remained as to where to use it.

    Then again, within 'Secrets of the Darkest Art', there were plenty of other spells Tom would be able to use in the open. He'd already found a brilliant one on how to conjure a 'gargantuan fire serpent', or one to fire a flurry of shadows - the book, though, was unclear about it's effects. 

    For now, however, Tom had to keep his book close to him; it'd take years to perfect these spells. 

    Hence, as Tom sat on the Hogwarts express, in front of a frowning Hermione, as well as a 1st year named Luna Lovegood, he kept his suitcase on his lap, as Bruna slept wrapped around him like a scarf. 

    'are you even listening?' said Hermione. 

    'I'd wager you're annoyed at Harry and Ron?' asked Tom. 

     They were, rather clearly, absent from the train; they'd missed it, seemingly. Of course, Tom saw them long ago - flying outside in that flying car of Mr Weasey's. The boy did not dare tell Hermione - he wouldn't hear the end of it for the next three hours of the journey.

    'maybe they've got wrackspurts in their brains?' said Luna.  

    'they've certainly not got any brains in their heads - that is for sure' Hermione complained.

    Tom had to stop himself from grinning; Hermione did not even know the half of it yet. The girl huffed, her book 'Hogwarts: a history' not enough to keep her mind away from Harry or Ron.

    Bruna came from her hiding under Tom's cloak, startling Luna; 'is that a snake?' she asked, her gaze seemingly removed from the carriage, yet her senses sharp. 

     'indeed'. 

     'it's fitting' the girl asked, her voice seemingly floating in the air. Tom grinned, his neat, as always, Slytherin robes with the silver serpent hissing proudly on his chest. He'd ditched his orphan clothes as soon as he stepped foot on the train. 

    Of course, that too was the same reason he couldn't find an empty carriage after he'd finished changing. Hermione was the best option, unfortunately. 

     'Keep away from the Slytherins, Luna' said Hermione. 'Luna is a pureblood. She'd do better than you would, Hermione' said Tom.

     The girl scowled at Tom. 'He isn't wrong' said Luna, facing Hermione. Tom laughed heartily at Hermione's reaction, her face turning slightly red. 

    'just hope you do not get into Hufflepuff' advised Tom.

    'why not?' asked Luna. 

    'Nobody wants them - Gryffindor is still not great, nor Ravenclaw, but Hufflepuff is the bottom of the barrel'. 

    'Don't listen to him, Luna. Slytherins tend to have prejudice in their veins' snapped Hermione. 

    'and a muggle does not?' asked Tom, looking rather amused at Hermione. 

    'the sin of one group does not absolve the sin of another' spat Hermione. 

    'what is a sin?' asked Luna. Tom and Hermione, still glaring at one another challengingly, did not stray away immediately - Tom, though, kept strong in his staring.