12

Pasty stood in front of The Box, wide eyed as she stared at the girl before her eyes.

 “Teresa,” she whispered.

 “A girl?”

 “I got dibs!”

 “What’s she look like?”

  “How old is she?”

  “Everybody, shut it!” Pasty snapped. She grabbed Alby with one hand, Thomas with the other “It’s Teresa! Teresa! Do you see, Thomas? Do you know her?”

 Thomas shook his head frantically, as Newt continued to peer at the girl grimly.

 “That’s not bloody half of it. I think she’s dead.”

 Pasty slowly let go of Thomas’ arm, but hung on to Alby, staring with fear at Teresa as she was pulled out the Box. She had to let go so that Alby could get in the Box with Newt and help out.

 “What do you think is going to happen?” Thomas whispered to her.

 “I think…know what? I don’t have a clue. This is a test of some sort,” Pasty replied vaguely.

 A minute later, Teresa was hoisted out the Box. Everybody surged forward to get a look at her, but Pasty and Alby pushed them all back.

 “Have some respect!” Newt growled, as he clambered out the Box himself. The girl lay on the floor lifelessly. Everybody was looking from Teresa to Pasty, noting the uncanny resemblances between the two of them. Pasty shifted in discomfort, feeling the way she’d done many times since arriving. Alone. She wished that Minho was with her, but he was still in the Maze. She was surprised when Thomas picked up on her sadness and put a comforting arm around her shoulder. A moment later, Newt pointed at Thomas.

 “Greenie. Get over here,” he said. Pasty gave Thomas a nudge, before following him herself.

 “You know this girl, shank?” Alby asked, directing the question to Thomas, before looking at Pasty.

  Thomas looked shocked “Know her? Of course I don’t know her. I don’t know anyone. Except for you guys.”

 “That’s not…I meant does she look familiar at all?”

 “I know her. I told you before. It’s Teresa. Her name is Teresa,” Pasty interrupted.

 “You know her?”

 “The Changing.”

 “Oh.”

 All went silent for a moment, before Alby threw his hands up in frustration.