4

As usual, Minho set off into the Maze at top speed, whizzing through the endless pathway. As usual, he stopped for lunch half way through the day. As usual, he tried to focus on his job, finding a way out of the hell hole they lived in. But unlike any other day, he was distracted. He couldn’t tear his mind away from Pasty. The way she smiled, her sarcastic yet friendly tone of voice, the way her hair flew behind her as she ran. Everything about her made him want to smile in a way he never had since he arrived at the Glade. He couldn’t figure out why, but she made him feel better than he could ever remember feeling.

 He tried to convince himself that he was just glad to have another friend. It was nice to have a change from lots of boys. But deep down, he knew what he felt was much more than that. However, he tried to push his feelings to the back of his mind. It doesn’t matter what I feel. Why would she choose me when she could have her pick of any of the boys in the Glade? he thought to himself I bet she prefers strong, good looking guys like Newt. Or maybe she likes Gally? then he chuckled to himself nah. She would have to have low standards to like Gally!

 He felt a bit better, but couldn’t stop himself thinking of her. Despite this, he covered the whole Maze much quicker than usual, meeting the same dead end as always, and made it back to the Glade twenty minutes earlier than usual. Maybe it was the thought of Pasty that brought him back. He wasn’t sure. But when he saw her, laughing and having a piggyback from Newt, he wasn’t sure he was glad to see her. He felt his heart sink and he turned away, but she spotted him and bounded over like an eager puppy to greet him.

 “Hey, your back! I’ve been waiting for you. Have you had a good day? I can’t wait to run with you tomorrow.”

 Minho had forgotten about that and cheered up slightly at the idea of spending all day with Pasty, just the two of them. He felt his face, unwillingly, stretch into a smile.

 “Every day is the same in the Maze. You’ll find that out soon enough.”

 His face fell again and he began walking away.

 “Wait! Where you going?”

 “I have work to do.”

 “Can I help? I won’t be a nuisance, I promise.”

 “Tomorrow,” Minho replied impatiently. A look of hurt swept over Pasty’s face, but it was quickly replaced with a neutral smile.

 “Alright. I guess I’ll leave you to it.” And with that, she turned on her heel and walked away, and he headed for the Map Rooms. He snuck a few glances at her and realised she was talking to Newt, obviously about his rude behaviour towards her. Newt glanced over and caught Minho’s eye, but he tore away from his look and went inside the Map Room.

 Minho thought he was safe and tried to concentrate on sketching out the Maze map, but around ten minutes later, he hadn’t made any progress, and Newt entered the room, his arms folded. Minho couldn’t even bear to look at him.

 “Right, Minho?”

 Minho mumbled a reply of sorts and Newt raised his eyebrows.

 “What’s with you, hmm? Pasty was bein’ perfectly nice to ya and you were just plain rude. What’s your problem?”

 “What’s yours?” Minho snarled “Get out my face!”

 “Not til ya tell me what’s goin’ on. You ain’t yourself.”

 Minho suddenly felt tired. Tired of everything. He put his head in his hands groaning and paced the room. Newt’s eyes widened as though in sudden realisation.

 “This is somethin’ to do with Pasty, right?”

 Minho nodded slowly, not trusting himself to speak in case he blurted out everything he was feeling to Newt.