6

Pasty couldn’t breathe. Gally wouldn’t have enough time to get back. As she was thinking this, she grabbed the knife still attached to her belt and bolted into the Maze.

 The Griever had him.

 Pasty heard Gally’s sharp cry of pain as the needle sunk into his skin. In the distance, Minho calling her, following her, but Pasty got to Gally first. With a yelp, she plunged the knife into the blubbery body of the Griever. It sprung back slightly, but recovered slightly and one of it’s needles penetrated her skin. She couldn’t help screaming.

 “Pasty!” Minho cried, only a few metres behind. The Griever scurried away.

 The pounding in Pasty’s head was like someone knocking a brick against it, over and over. She stumbled, only just managing to regain her balance and haul Gally’s lifeless arm over her shoulder.

 “Mi-o” she slurred to Minho. He shook his head, a tear rolling down his cheek and throwing the two of them over his shoulders. Then he ran.

 They almost didn’t make it. Around ten seconds before the Doors closed, Minho reached the Glade, collapsing under the weight of Gally and Pasty. Gally was carried away first, completely unconscious. In Pasty’s last moments of wake, she whispered.

 “Mi-o. Stay wi me…”