9

Minho regretted saying his feelings out loud straight away. It only made everything he felt for her more real. He had quickly let go of her hand and walked away, needing to think. He returned to the corner, running a hand through his hair in annoyance, with himself and Pasty. He wished she would make some sort of response, anything at all.

 The thought “be careful what you wish for” came to mind when she began to scream.

 Flash.

 Image of a dead baron land.

 Flash.

 Image of crazed people.

 Flash.

 Flash.

 Flash.

 “She must have broken through her coma, and now she is starting the process of the Changing,” Alby shouted over Pasty’s screams, trying to pin her down on the bed. Newt looked grim.

 “At least we know she isn’t brain dead if she can still experience pain,” he muttered.

 “Is that all you shanks are going on? The fact that she is in shuck loads of pain? What the hell is wrong with you!” Minho cried.

 “We ain’t sayin’ she is fine. The Changing ain’t no picnic, but it will pass. There are lots of us who have been through the same.”

 But it seemed to last forever. Four days passed. She showed no improvement. Gally was up and going again. He walked around with a guilty look on his face, but Alby, Newt and Minho had more on their mind than shouting at Gally for his sheer stupidity.

 Five days had passed. Minho had been persuaded to have some rest, and was asleep in the room next to Pasty’s. Her wails had weakened a lot, probably because her body was too exhausted to fight back anymore.

 Gally had waited for his chance to visit her, and with Minho, Alby and Newt all out of the way, he sneaked into the room where her weak body lay. She had lost wait, unable to eat much during her time of illness. Her hair was lank and greasy, her face red from screaming and her lips chapped, deprived of moisture, but when Gally saw her, he still thought she looked perfect. He grabbed the chair that Minho normally occupied and dragged it to her bedside. He brushed the hair off her clammy forehead and fed her some water that sat on the table beside her. She was finally able to drink something at least.

 “Hey Pasty,” he whispered. “Just want to let you know how sorry I am. I know it’s not much, but I needed to say it anyway. And if you will just wake up…Alby and Newt are worried for you. Minho misses you so much, he is in a mess. He really loves you, Pasty. And if you will just wake up, I will do anything for you, anything at all…”