10

Four months later, Thomas arrived in the Box.

 The week before that, Pasty had a vision.

 She hadn’t seen it that way at the time. It came to her in a dream. She dreamt of Thomas coming up in the Box. She remembered him from her experiences during the Changing, so it didn’t seem so strange. The girl was there too, the one she had thought most memorable in her previous “vision.”

 She dreamed of a night in the Maze with Minho (Minho had started Running again, but Pasty was still doing training, and only went with him occasionally, and helped out around the Glade the rest of the time) which was a stranger thought, as no mention of staying out in the Maze overnight had been made. In fact, though no one said it, it was forbidden, and fear of the Maze was at its highest since latest victim of the Grievers, Ben, went a bit mad.

 The final part of the dream. Total chaos. More Grievers together than Pasty had ever seen during her time in the Glade. She woke from the dream, covered in sweat. But she quickly reminded herself that it was only a dream.

 Or so she had thought.

 “Look at that shank.”

 “How old is he?”

 “Looks like a klunk in a t-shirt.”

 “You’re the klunk, shuck face.”

 “Dude, it smells like feet down there.”

 “Hope you enjoyed the one way trip, Greenie.”

 “Ain’t no ticket back, bro.”

 Pasty was making her way to the Gates to greet Minho from his day in the Maze when she spotted the crowd around Thomas.

 “Ah, the Greenie is here,” she muttered to herself, and went over to investigate.

 Thomas’ confusion was clear to Alby. He, believe it or not, had once been in the same position. Though he talked tough, he had once stumbled out of the Box, having already wet himself in fear. Literally. He knew what Thomas must have felt like, but he still brought out the tough boy act.

 “Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.”

 “Look at the Greenbean,” Gally sniggered “Gonna break his shuck neck checkin’ out the new digs.”

 “Shut your hole, Gally,” Newt grunted.

 Pasty broke into a jog, not wanting to miss anything, but she was still only half way across the Glade. She arrived just in time to hear Alby say “New life begins tomorrow.”

 Pasty pushed her way to the front of the crowd that had gathered around him. Alby was about to turn and leave, but she nudged him. Like Minho, she had gained a certain status that meant she communicated better with Alby than they had when she first arrived in the Glade. She pointed at Thomas with a quivering finger.