3

“Wake up, Newbie! Or have you chickened out of this race?”

 Pasty groaned and opened her eyes. Minho was grinning down at her.

 “No way,” she said confidently “Just don’t get your hopes up. There is no way I’m going to be kissing you any time today. What route are we doing?”

 Minho scratched his chin distractedly “Uhh, I hadn’t really thought of that one. Two laps round the Glade?”

 “Bring it on, Minho. Bring it on.”

 Ten minutes later, they were both dressed and at their starting position, by the tree they had sat under the day before.

 “I’ll go easy on you,” Minho said cockily.

 “No need, my friend. With the deal in mind, there is no way I am going to let myself lose today,” Pasty joked. Then she got into position. Minho was about to shout go when Alby interrupted them.

 “Whoah. What’s going on here?” he asked sharply.

 “Pasty here wants to be a Runner. I promised her if she won the race I would ask you about her training with me.”

 “Fair enough. I’ll watch and see. What’s in it for you if you win, Minho?” he asked. Minho grinned.

 “I think the deal was she had to kiss me if I win. Am I right, Pasty?” he teased. Pasty nodded with a twinkle in her eye and Alby rolled his eyes.

 “I wonder who thought up those terms,” he said sarcastically, “Alright. On your marks. Get set. Go!” Alby said quickly.

 This caught them both by surprise, but Minho got a better start. Despite this, it didn’t take long for Pasty to catch up, and by the end of the first lap they were neck and neck. What Minho didn’t know was Pasty’s tactics. She wasn’t running flat out, and was waiting until the last straight to do so. She let him believe going round the last corner that he had the advantage, and then like a whirlwind hurtled past him and finished the race five seconds quicker than Minho without losing breath.

 “I’m impressed. Good tactics, Pasty. You certainly outsmarted Minho. And a Runner needs to be smart.”
 Minho crossed the finishing point, his face full of total surprise “That was more than good tactics. That was awesome! Alby, this shuck face needs to be a Runner.”

 “I agree. You are our best Runner, and she just beat you. But it doesn’t seem worth having any other Runners, when we already have enough to cover each section.”

 “Shuck that! You know what, it doesn’t matter. She can run with me every day. It would be good to have someone to watch my back and me watch hers, work as a team, ya know. I know it would do me good.”

 Alby thought for a moment. “Good that. If you want her with you, I’m not gonna stop ya. I don’t know what it is to be a Runner, and you are the Keeper. Start her training tomorrow once she has had a day to settle in. For now, go get some breakfast in you, both of you. Tell Frypan I said you can have some early.”

 And with that, he walked away. Minho winked at Pasty.

 “Alby is a pushover where I’m concerned. But seriously, that was good. You would have to be to beat me!”

 Pasty shoved him playfully and he shoved her back, until soon, Minho had picked her up and held her upside down. She couldn’t stop laughing.

 “Do you surrender?” Minho said, breathless from laughing and messing around.

 “Never!” Pasty gasped.

 “Minho! Put her down, ya bully,” Newt called, coming towards the pair. Pasty giggled dizzily as Minho set her on the floor. She swung one arm around Minho’s shoulder, the other around Newt’s.

 “Food!” she said giddily. Newt rolled his eyes and laughed and they headed for the kitchens.

 The boy Pasty had met yesterday, Frypan, was cooking egg and bacon when they arrived in the kitchen. He didn’t look pleased that they were robbing his food.

 “Alby said,” Minho told Frypan, which was returned with a roll of the cook’s eyes and three plates of food. They sat around a table and ate together.

 “By the way, Pasty, Alby don’t wanna leave ya on your own, so I gotta look after ya today. Then I believe Minho is mentoring you to be a Runner?” Newt said.

 “Yeah, I am. She’s pretty damn good for a Newbie,” Minho said, looking at Pasty.

 “She would have to be. Alby won’t let any old shank loose in the Maze. It’s too dangerous. You and I both know that,” Newt said to Minho. Minho nodded wisely.

 “Yeah. I’m not gonna let her get hurt though,” he said, smiling at Pasty. She felt herself blush, but she didn’t know why, and smiled back shyly. Minho checked his watch.

 “I need to go. The Runners will be heading out in a few minutes. Will you be OK following Newt around for today?”

 “We’ll be fine, won’t we Newt? We’re gonna have a great time,” Pasty grinned, punching Newt lightly on the arm.

 “Sure we will. Of ya go, Runner boy. Don’t let the Grievers bite!”