"i know it doesn't seem like it, but you really are making progress. it's not easy dealing with the things that you do and you make it seem like my anxiety is such a small issue with all of the things you deal with."

lily laughs quietly in disbelief, shaking her head. "that's not true, matt."

he tilts his head to side in confusion and shock. "why is that?"

she looks over at him, quiet for a moment.

"because i may have more things to deal with, but you've always inspired me to be better—with the way you've dealt with your anxiety." she admits, giving him a small smile when he really takes in what she's saying.

something in her eyes tells him that what she says is the truth.

with a sigh, he places his hand over hers. "you know you can talk to me, right?"

she sighs in appreciation. "thanks, matt."

a throat clears after the back door opens, causing both friends to look up with startled expressions.

it's none other than chris, who looks pretty annoyed.

lily furrows her eyebrows in confusion as matt lifts his hand from hers and stands up.

"i'll talk to you later, okay? remember if you ever wanna talk, i'm here." he says, feeling awkward by the look his brother sends him.

she nods, before calling his name, "matt?"

"yeah?" he turns around, waiting for what she's going to ask or say to him.

"thank you. you're a good friend." she says, giving him a appreciative smile.

he just nods, before awkwardly pulling the door shut and walking inside.

something in chris' eyes switches to relief.

lily doesn't know the reason for this, but she doesn't dwell on it.

lily turns around, keeping quiet, not sure what's going on with him.

"so..." chris says unsurely, walking over to the edge of the deck and sits down.

she hums, looking over at him.

"what were you guys talking about just now?" he asks nonchalantly.

lily shrugs. "just him checking on me. that's all."

chris nods, unusually quiet.

this, lily notices immediately.

she looks at him for a second, uncertain on what's going on but also observing him.

after a few seconds of him not saying anything else, she playfully punches him in the shoulder.

he gapes at her for a second, his face full of offense. "what was that for?"

she shrugs, rolling her eyes. "you're being too quiet—it's so unlike you."

he's quiet for another second before shrugging. "i don't know what you mean."

lily gives him a pointed look. "you are totally lying—that's my thing. how is it that i'm the one not lying this time and you're the one being all quiet?"

he shrugs again, not saying anything.

"chris," she says, drawing his attention back to her. "what's going on right now?"

"nothing. i'm good." he says, clearly lying.

not wanting to push him, lily sighs and nods. "okay."

from that moment, something was different and lily and chris both know this.

—————

A/N: here's a chapter i wrote at work, so enjoy!!! but i wanna clarify that there's NOTHING between matt and lily i promise. they're completely like brother and sister relationship-wise. but yeah here you go!!
—hannah <3