two!

[irl, texts, social media!]

—————

TW: MENTIONS OF PHYSICAL AND EMOTIONAL ABUSE, MENTAL HEALTH AND ANXIETY!

[irl!]

AS SOON AS SHE'S FAR enough away from the big group of friends, lily sighs anxiously and sits down on the ground, in the middle of the town's park area. she nervously picks at the grass, allowing herself to finally feel her emotions.

the prickly tears come back again, and this time she allows them to fall, knowing that there's no one close enough to her to see her upset emotions.

but then, she gets the sense that someone's watching her. she looks up, glancing nervously in the direction of her best friend with her friends, only to see one of the boys walking over to her.

in fact, as he's getting closer to her, she hastily wipes away the evidence of her scared emotions.

"hey," he says, looking a little nervous himself. "i'm matt."

lily's breath comes out shaky, trying and hoping that she's not coming off as standoffish.

"you're one of elliot's friends?" she asks, trying to keep her gaze held onto the ground.

matt nods, but then rolls his eyes at himself, after realizing that she can't see him nodding. "yeah."

"well," she speaks clearly for the first time. "i'd introduce myself, except talking to new people makes me anxious..." she trails off, feeling a whole other sense of dread from admitting this.

"and it seems that elliot has already told you and your friends my name."

he laughs at this, before deciding to sit a little ways away from her, but in front of her.

"yeah, that's true," he agrees.

"but, hey. if anyone understands that i do," he says, causing her to look up at him with her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

noticing this, he elaborates, "i have anxiety too, so i understand how stressful it can be to overthink and worry about meeting or talking to anyone new in your life."

after hearing this, lily is speechless, not expecting this.

not only is matt one of the very few first people who's actually being respectful towards her, but also is someone who isn't afraid to speak his mind.

"oh." she whispers, suddenly feeling a little at ease after learning this.

"shocked?" he asks, trying to break the awkwardness in the air.

lily laughs a little. "yeah, actually."

after a few seconds, matt holds his hand up in the air to shake her hand. "it's nice to meet you, lily."

"thanks, you too." lily says comfortably, burying her anxiety as best as she can and awkwardly shaking his hand.

"so, do you want to go back and meet everyone?" matt asks, nodding to their friends who're curiously watching them.