Alicia, the schoolgirl

Start from the beginning

I would have a separate bedroom and my own bathroom/toilet, but in all other respects, I would be expected to fit in as one of the students.

"Fit in?"

Dad was smiling, "Apparently that means, being just like the other students, including wearing the correct school uniform."

I started laughing, "A girl's uniform?"

"Yeah, mate."

"So I'd be a pretend girl . . . but the other kids would know, wouldn't they."

"They would, and you might get teased, sweetheart," Mum was looking concerned.

Dad was still smiling, but said more seriously, "The headmistress, a Mrs Thornton, assured us that they come down heavily on that sort of stuff."

I laughed again, "This is weird."

Dad was laughing as well, "It is, isn't it?"

But Mum looked very worried, "Darling, forget about it. It's no good."

I stood up, "Not much time left, is there? Let me think about it."

I heard Mum's plaintive "Alan" as I headed back to my bedroom.

Chapter 3: shall I go for it?

I lay down on my bed. It was certainly weird, but I couldn't help being amused by the whole idea. I mean, what a lark.

I lay there smiling at the ceiling. I'd been looking forward to going to a boarding school while the folks were away, it would be a new experience. Blimey, an all-girls boarding school would be even more of an experience.

It might be fun, but could girls really be as bitchy as I'd heard from some people? Would I cop a lot of grief?

The girls I knew seemed nice (for girls, that is - now that's 'boytalk') and got on fine together. It would probably be okay.

I did have one major concern. I went out to see Mum and Dad again.

They were in the kitchen preparing dinner. They did nearly everything together.

My parents had their own financial management business; through hard work, they had built it up to a sizeable operation.

A few years ago, they had taken in another partner - he would look after the business while they were away.

"Mum, Dad, where is this Caroline College, I've never heard of it?"

Dad understood what I was on about, "It's a three-hour drive north of here. Neither Mum nor I have ever heard of it before, or of any kids from around here going up there. It seems that its main catchment areas are the rural districts to the north and west."

He gave me a sort of wry grin, "So, mate, it's very unlikely that anybody around here would ever know about you going there."

I loved my parents; I wanted them to have their dream holiday. "Let's do it," I said.

"Oh, Alan," Mum's voice was full of anguish.

Dad was grinning; so was I.

"It could be a real laugh, and what the hell, it's not for long and if nobody is likely to know . . ."

"Alan, Alan, darling," Mum grabbed me and started hugging me, "You're the best kid in the world, the best."

"Hey, take it easy, Beatrice," Dad said with mock severity, "don't go giving him a swelled head."

"I will, I will," Mum exclaimed getting all teary.

Chapter 4: at the college