psychic towers

SAIKI POV

Me and L/N are walking home together, well, together is a strong word. Unfortunately she moved in next door, so we end up walking along the same route. I was going to avoid this, but at some point she noticed and started waiting for me at the school gate. I don't mind too much to be honest, she has no real interest in making small talk with me and just thinks about stupid things.

My monologue is interrupted by a horribly annoying "Hey buddy!" from behind me. I freeze in place and turn around to face the source. Nendou.

———

Y/N POV

Turning around, I see none other then Nendou walking towards us. Usually I'd have trouble remembering his name, but you can't forget a face like that. Ever.

He makes his way towards me and Saiki, and invites Saiki to go eat ramen with their friends. As soon as I realize that I am not part of the conversation I turn around and start to walk away, mentally berating myself for being so awkward and standing there like that.

'of couse he wouldn't be talking to me, we don't even know eachother. Hell, I'm barely associated with Saiki either, I just heard someone talking and stopped. Is this how it feels to wave back at someone who wasn't waving at you..'

As I bring my scolding to an end I hear something I never expected from Saiki,

"L/N and I are going to study for an upcoming test, I can't come."

Instead of coming to the obvious realization that Saiki was making an excuse, I almost started freaking because I could not for the life of me remember agreeing to this.

Nendou walks away and Saiki and I continue on our way to our houses, but I still can't remember when I said he could come over. I mean, my parents are out for the week so it wouldn't change much, but still. My memory is already bad as is, I don't need to go around forgetting things the day they happen.

"Sorry for using you as an excuse." Saiki speaks up, which finally makes the puzzle in my brain fit together.

"Ohh, it's all good. Actually," I start "if it's not too much trouble could you come over later to help? I don't really understand what we're doing in math right now."

———
SAIKI POV

'I never should have made that excuse. I should have just let Nendou take me.' I lecture myself.

If there's one thing I don't like it's tutoring. It's not because teaching other people is hard, not to brag but I could teach a toddler calculus like it's nothing. I just don't like spending my free time teaching other people.

It's too late for moping, since I've already been invited inside. Looking around, the place is... really dull. There's nothing much that makes it seem lived in other than the trinkets L/N left around. I remember her thinking that her parents were out for the week, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that her parents were never here in the first place.

"Are you hungry? I can make something" She calls out from the kitchen.

"...Do you have any dessert?"

"Why don't you come find out instead of snooping in my living room," She teases "It's pretty empty in there, unless you really like my animal toys."

"Why are those out here in the first place?" I ask as I make my way to the kitchen, picking one up to take home. I already knew the answer to my question, because alongside her thoughts being something I can't block out, they're also significantly louder than anyone else's. I'm not sure if she's always yelling in her head or what, but my sleep schedule is a thing of the past thanks to this girl.

"I saw that." She glares at me before letting out a small laugh "take as many as you want. I put them around one night while i was really really tired and never bothered to put them away." L/N pulls out a seat for me before listing the dessert options.

"We have some ice cream and there's sugar cones in the pantry if you want that, I think there might be some cake left over from a birthday or something in the freezer if you can handle frozen cake?"

That's so depressing. This is the saddest dessert selection. I was half hoping that coffee jelly would be on that list, but I remembered she doesn't like it which quickly crushed that dream.

"Or I could take you out to that one cafe we went to with Teruhashi, I remember you liking their.." L/N pauses to remember the name before giving up "jelly thing."

"Are you a god?"

"WHAT?"

Whoops. I got excited. "I said I'd like to go to the cafe."

L/N arches an eyebrow at me "I don't think that's what you said, but okay!"

We made plans then L/N led me upstairs to her room so we could study. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this definitely wasn't it. It was a very lively room, a little overwhelming if I'm being honest.

"Sorry my room's a mess," She starts "I wasn't expecting company today"

"It's fine. What aren't you understanding?"

We go on and thankfully she's a quick learner. By dinner time she was able to understand the material better and I started getting ready to leave before I was stopped. My mom was calling me.

I'll spare you the details, but the call ended in my mother insisting we have L/N over for dinner. And my brother is visiting. Good lord.

———
Y/N POV

Saiki told me that his family wanted me over for dinner and I was all too eager to accept. Just kidding, I was terrified. If they're like Saiki at all I can tell this will be awkward.

Thankfully, they are nothing like Saiki. 'Sorry Saiki, didn't mean that.' I apologize mentally as though he can hear me.

Saiki's mother greeted me and she started... CRYING? and thanking me for being friends wirh her son?

"It's no problem, he's no trouble at all." I say, trying to figure out how to stop her tears.

"Where's Kusuke?" Saiki asks, which reminds me that he has an older brother.

Right on cue, he walks in from the door.

"Who's the girl, Saiki?" His brother then turns his attention towards me "Are you friends with my baby brother? That's so sweet" He comments.

"Uh, nice to meet you too..?" I wasn't sure how to respond to that so I went with the safest choice.

Sitting down at the dinner table, I end up between Saiki and his brother. I get the impression that Saiki doesn't really like his brother very much, so I took the chance to give him some breathing space.

I was just going to enjoy my dinner and intrude on the conversation as little as possible, but let's be real that was never an option.

The dinner talk was fine for a while, mostly mundane stuff and questions about me and Saiki before his mother says something.. odd.

"I'm so glad you're friends with our son, I know it can't be easy with his psychic powers and all-" she immediately cuts herself off "Did I say psychic powers? I meant psychic towers! It's a game he's been obsessed with!!"

I would have just brushed past the comment as a joke that didn't land right, but I now either had to accept the reality that Saiki is either a psychic OR he is obsessed with a game about psychic towers. The latter is way too funny not to choose, besides, psychics aren't real.