Nightmare Scenario

Start from the beginning

Dick's foot slowly lifted up and gently set a step lower, only one foot though. Though patience was not always Dick's strong suit, he did not really have a choice in the matter.

"Very good, now again with the other leg, slowly."

Though a little shaky, Dick did manage a whole step. But while those waiting at the base of the staircase were cheering, Dick himself was silent.

He felt funny, and as... 'pleasant'... as his usual headaches may be this one felt different.

Sickeningly different.

The world seemed to tilt and he felt a nauseating lurch in his stomach and while Bruce and James attempted to get him to try another step, Dick's hazy mind stalled.

Something wasn't right, and something told him trying another step would be a very bad idea. The spinning was worse now, and his mind went blank as the world around him seemed to darken.

"Richard?"

A harsh bark came from below, Tim was struggling to control Zitka, he was straining at his leash. Whining and barking desperately, trying to break free and get to his human.

James adjusted his position slightly in order to look at his patient's face, and his own heart skipped a beat.

Dick had gone horribly pale, and as James started to assess what was going on, he had to quickly yell for Bruce to bring Dick back up the step and onto the porch.

Dick's eyes had rolled back into his skull.

As soon as Dick was on the ground, James flew into emergency doctor mode.

Dick was still for a moment yet growing paler by the second before his breathing suddenly became labored.

James's eyes darkened before he yelled at Tim to bring one of those chair cushions, the boy was confused but quickly did as he was told while James took Dick's pulse.

He had a horrible feeling...

Seconds passed before Tim brought the cushion... just in time to watch Dick's body jolt in a horribly unnatural way.

Tim froze and James had to take the cushion from his hands and quickly set it under Dick's head, he then quickly took a handkerchief from his pocket, balled it up, and shoved it in Dick's mouth. He urged for Bruce to help him gently turn Dick's body onto the side.

Tim backed up a step, his mouth opening and closing but no words managed to tumble out. This wasn't like the seizures he's come to expect once in a while, and that first seizure he witnessed...

This was worse.

"... Tim! Tim!"

'Bart said that... this is...'

He barely startled when Barbara wrapped an arm around his shoulders and practically hauled him into the Manor, her other hand tightly gripping Zitka's now shortened leash.

"I-it's okay Bruce, I got him."

Tim blinked once then quickly turned back around just as Barbara shut the door then quickly pulled the blinds to the windows that faced the front porch.

"Barbara?"

But she merely turned around to face him, her face mirroring the horror on his.

She shook her head, took his hand, and led him to the dining room. There wasn't anything they could do.

-------------------------------------------------------

Bruce had to resist the urge to place a hand on his son's shoulder, instead he focused on James. He had his hand still grasping Dick's wrist, and now he was checking his watch, occasionally looking over at Alfred who was anxiously waiting for the ambulance he had called, often relaying information to the incoming paramedics.