Survival

The pack was always supposed to stay together, protecting one another from any outside threats. They were to stick close, help each other out when the need arose. Never in a million years did she see the pack separating into two and fighting against one another. Friend against friend, brother against brother. It was the worst split anyone had ever seen in all the many moons they had been together. Even the pups had joined in on the fighting, threatening the future of the pack's survival if they were to lose any of them.

MoonShimmer, a silver wolf with sparkling blue eyes walked ahead of a worn out group of wolves. There had to have been more than a dozen of them, panting and dragging themselves along. Young and old fighting to traverse a forest they knew so well, one they had called home for so long until half the pack had turned on them and run them out. Wounded and non-wounded followed, doubtful eyes lingering on her from each member that chose to continue following her.

Pushing any doubt from her mind that she would lose anymore of her pack, MoonShimmer plopped her bottom down on the spot she now stood. Her ears drooped and tail wrapped around herself in comfort, the weight of her burden heavy upon her shoulders.

"Come, let us rest for now. We've traveled far enough for now."

As if an immediate reaction, MoonShimmer watched over half of the remaining pack drop to the ground in exhaustion. Most were pups and elders, a few hunters and warriors that had gotten pretty beat up in the initial fight to save the ones still standing with them, but it hurt to watch.

Rustling in the bushes to her right had MoonShimmer standing quickly. Her tired body going rigid and her silver fur bristling. She was poised to fight whatever was coming in their direction. From the corner of her blue eyes, she could see she wasn't the only one that was prepared for what was coming. Even her injured warriors were ready to take on whoever or whatever was making their way through the bushes.

Meanwhile, those that couldn't fight stared in terror, protecting the pups while fearing a slaughter was on the horizon.

However, relief came in the form of a midnight black wolf with a white patch over their left eye and on the tip of their fluffy tail. An old scar ran down the left shoulder from a battle in the wolf's youth, which probably was the reasoning for where they were today.

"Shadow!"

MoonShimmer hadn't even realized her beta had left the group, having been too worried about said pack members to even notice his absence.

One could watch MoonShimmer physically relax, the readiness to fight leaving her eyes only to be replaced by sudden relief.

"I'm sorry to startle you. I tracked ahead to assure safe passage through the forest."

"Don't apologize, just inform me next time before leaving again."

The relief in MoonShimmer's voice was evident as she walked over and greeted her beta with a quick nuzzle. The side of her head gently rubbing against Shadow's before pulling away to look into his glowing yellow eyes. To anyone watching, one could easily assume something was going on between the alpha female and her beta. If one were to ask, both would have denied anything of the sorts.

"Anyways, is it safe to continue? We won't have any issues from the nearby packs?"

The question was a simple one, but the urgency within MoonShimmer's voice rang loud and clear.

Shadow shook his head, his eyes darting towards the exhausted pack before returning to his alpha just as quickly.

"No, we won't have any issues with the other packs. They are allowing us safe passage into the outer fields, but MoonShimmer-"