The Norm

"See you tomorrow Miriam."

When no reply came from the older woman, Nadia stopped with one hand on the door and turned to look towards her co-worker.

To Nadia's dismay, the woman with the silvering hair had her back turned to her and her head lowered. It was as if Miriam was intentionally ignoring her, keeping her back turned to her.

Maybe she should have stayed in bed that morning and called in sick.

With a heavy sigh, Nadia turned away from all the watchful eyes and opened the door. She barely managed to exit the establishment before her wrist was tightly grasped and she was suddenly yanked away.

A surprised yelp escaped from Nadia's lips, her feet stumbling over one another in an attempt to keep up. Her eyes falling upon the back of her captor's head, his sandy golden hair was all she could make out.

"Hey, will you stop!?"

"Shh-"

"What?"

Shock took over Nadia. Had he really just shushed her?

"Shh-"

"Wha- no! No, I'm not going to shush."

Within the blink of an eye, her captor halted his stride, turning to face her. In that very moment, Nadia came face-to-face with the most vibrant green eyes she had ever seen.

"Will you please be quiet? I'm trying to save your life."

"Excuse me?"

Nadia's confusion only grew as the man spoke.

"I'm trying to get you out before we lose you too."

"Lose me? I don't know what you're talking about. "

"The Norms! You haven't noticed them? They've been watching you for days now."

Silence was Nadia's response, her mind going back to earlier. She thought back to the way the customers stared, watching her every move. It wasn't hard to tell, let alone feel, how off the day had been.

"The Norms?"

Nadia's question was slow, almost as if nothing more than an afterthought.

"People who've been brainwashed by the system, no longer-"

The man silenced the same moment his vibrant gaze lifted from hers, landing on something behind her.

Risking a simple glance, Nadia peered over her shoulder, watching a group of about four or five people entering the alleyway.

"Come on, lets go before they catch up to us."

As he began walking once more, his tug on her wrist was far more gentle than it had been earlier. Nadia's strides were no longer stumbling steps now that she was able to keep up with him.

"But-"

"Don't worry, everything will be explained once I get you to safety."

No longer certain what was right or wrong in the situation, Nadia went against her better judgement and decided to trust the strange man before her.

"Alright, where you go I will follow."

Nadia was putting her trust and faith into a man she didn't even know. However, from what she had been able to witness thus far, there was truth within his warning. She only hoped her judgement of the situation was wrong and she wasn't walking into something far more dangerous.