Mercy

The clanking of metal echoed around the body riddled battlefield like thunder crashing through the sky. Screams of fallen warriors begging for final mercy while staring down their enemy for the final time was much like a haunting symphony for all to hear. Mixed with the battle cries of those who could still fight would have sent ice cold chills through those unfortunate enough to hear it. Magic scorched and sizzled through the air, healers and fighters working together to reach the best possible outcome of the fight. 

However, with more men falling faster than the closest mage could heal them, it made everyone fighting wonder if a good outcome was such a thing in this situation. 

Avalon's terrified silver eyes darted around the carnage exploding around her while she tried to stop the bleeding of a dying allied soldier. Her purple tipped blonde hair had been tied back into a messy ponytail, but that didn't stop small strands from escaping and sticking to her sweat dampened brow. Both the heat dwelling within the conclave of bodies and the overexertion of using her healing abilities as a mage had become exhausting, bringing the young female far beyond the natural limits of her powers. 

The scent of death forced bile to rise within her throat, threatening to lose what little food she had been able to eat before the attack. Somehow, she managed to push it all back down. She was barely aware of the way her body trembled or how her heart roared within her chest like a demon ready to break free. Adrenaline from her growing fear fueled all she was doing, keeping her going as long as she could. 

She knew it was futile to try and save those already downed, but Avalon felt she had to try if they were to have any chance of survival. 

"My. . . M'lady. . ." 

Avalon's attention snapped back towards the soldier she had been attempting to heal. Her silver gaze wide, panic stricken as her brain rushed to keep up with everything going on around her. The pandemonium only seeming to grow by the second, making things even more dangerous than before. 

"No, please, you mustn't talk." 

Her voice trembled with each word she spoke, betraying the courageous facade she had been trying to portray. 

"F-Forget about me, it's too late. D-Don't wa-" 

Blood erupted from the man's mouth, painting his lips red and garbling his words. His wounds seemed far more extensive than the exterior ones Avalon had been trying to heal. However, that didn't stop the man from speaking, continuing where he had left off; 

"Don't waste your life on the battlefield. Here, take. . . my sword. . ." 

With unsteady hands, the soldier took hold of his blade and barely managed to drag the hilt over to Avalon. 

He shoved the handle into her hands, successfully cutting off the flow of her magic and startling her in the process. 

"R-Return it to. . . my family. Let th-them kn-know my death was not in vane." 

Avalon watched the light leave the soldier's mossy green eyes as his soul freed itself from its mortal ties. 

Tears swam in her silver orbs as she sat back on her knees processing it all, the sword tightly grasped within her unsteady hands. Never in a million years did she believe that she would be sitting there, mourning a man she barely even knew, yet there she was doing just that. However, in all of her shock and sadness, Avalon nearly forgot she was on a battlefield with many people out there wanting to kill her, just so there was one less healer on the opposing side. 

The reminder came in the form of a roaring battlecry at her back. She didn't know how she reacted so quickly to it, especially since she was not a warrior and all she saw was the man's shadow rise over her along with his screams. 

Avalon took hold of the heavy blade, uncertain where her strength was coming from, and swung the sword around. She managed to counter the downward swing aimed directly at her head, throwing the enemy soldier off balance. Everything after that came as a lightning blur, the world around her vanishing as an inexplicable rage began consuming her. 

She never remembered swinging the blade again, their swords crashing together in a music barrage. The scrape of metal upon metal becoming a tantalizing sonata that Avalon was able to move her feet to. Every step coordinated like a dance despite the inexperience of not knowing what she was doing or how to even use a sword. All she knew was to fight back and survive long enough to see tomorrow. 

The blade given to her crashed and clanged against her opponent's, screams of pure anger and desperation leaving her lips. Avalon's movements and actions were so startling and sporadic, they knocked her enemy back, their footing becoming unsteady as they stumbled over the nearby dead. His dark eyes filled with shocking panic as he tried to counter each swing, but his faltering steps only hindered him from fully connecting with his attacks. 

It gave Avalon the opening she needed. 

Removing one hand from the blade, Avalon raised it and sent a shockwave of pure energy right into the man's chest. Even with all of his armor on, the blast was enough to knock the air from his lungs and send him falling to the ground where the dead lie. 

Panic had turned into terror while he tried backing away while deadly rage filled silver eyes locked onto him. Avalon's steps were slow and careful, stepping over each body out of respect for the dead, but it also gave a more menacing appearance to the young woman. She was stalking her prey, drawing out the moment she would strike for that final kill. She wanted that paralyzing fear to grip him, to consume the man so he too would beg for mercy. Though, it would be a mercy that would never be given to him. 

As Avalon came to stand over the trembling enemy soldier, her eyes dropped to where the man lay without so much as moving her head. Her glare burned like liquid silver, burning him without so much as touching him. No color remained in his face, ashen white and pale with fear as his demise became all the more imminent. 

"Please, I don't want to die." 

Avalon quirked a single unamused eyebrow at the man's plea, malice seeming to take her over. 

"Mercy, please show mercy." 

"Mercy? Where was mercy when you decided to murder my people?" 

Though amusement had entered her voice, it quickly became overshadowed by the fury and rage she felt towards the soldier before her. 

She reared the sword back, the blade glowing with the blue hue of her magic. Emotion became void  on her face, as if she was staring at an animal ready for the slaughter. Without so much as a warning, she thrust the blade forward, silencing the anymore words or pleas the man may have tried to speak to her. 

"May you be at the mercy of the Almighty now."