Chapter 28: Happy Birthday Tara

Start from the beginning

I follow him to the pizzeria, we chat on the way, then sit down at a table.

"How are you feeling?" He asks me
"Now in New York or since what happened?" I ask
"Both, I want to know how you're doing" He says
"In New York it's going well, and then otherwise I think it can go.. and you?" I ask
"I'm always okay, you should know it!" He says laughing and giving me a big smile, "With Tara..how is it going?" He asks
"It's fine, we had some problems... but it's better now, FINALLY" I say, smiling.

We chat for a while, order some food and he insists on paying for both of us.

He knows very well why I wanted to see him and he knows about what I wanted to talk about, but I get the impression that we're both uncomfortable and embarrassed to have to talk about it. Anyway, he's basically my uncle, I know he doesn't see me as his niece, that's normal, but I don't know what kind of relationship I should have with him or just if he just wants me in his life.

"Dewey?" I say as I take a bite.

He looks at me, eating like a child, really making me laugh.

"Can you tell me about Tatum?" I say.

He grins then sets down his slice of pizza.

"Of course Amber, my little sister is an extraordinary person. I know you probably don't think so, since you were adopted, but the only reason she did what she did was because, at the time, things weren't right... She found out she was pregnant some time before the first attack... From Billy and Stu. She almost lost the baby, you know, because of all that. It's a miracle she's still alive after all those stab wounds she took, lucky she managed to get out through that cat flap," he says, looking at me.

I can understand how complicated it was to keep a child in that kind of condition. I can totally understand that, but why didn't she try to get back in touch with me? Why did she never come back to see me?

"Do you think one day she'll want to see me?" I ask
"I'm sure she will" he says
"Have you talked to her about all this?" I ask

"Of the attack yes but without lying to you... I haven't dared tell her about you yet" he says scratching his head. "I hope you're not angry with me" he says
"Not at all, Dewey I'm not mad at you" I say smiling
"Gale is going to live in New York, and she asked me to come with her. I don't know what to do, I'm talking to you because now you're part of my life and I want to be able to see you so it would be nice if I could go with her but I'm going to have to give up my job" he says

He keeps talking but I'm not listening to him, I can't hear a word he's saying. He's just told me that i'm a part of his life and that he wants to spend time with me. I'm holding back tears, even my own father never said anything like that to me, NEVER. I can't thank God enough for putting Dewey in my path.

"It would be great if you went with her.... And then you'll find work there for sure," I say, smiling and biting my bottom lip to keep from crying because I'm moved. "But I understand that it's a complicated choice, it's normal, you've always lived here" I say, smiling.
"You know Amber" He says, rubbing his forehead, "Except for Gale and now you, I had nothing left to tie me to Woodsboro, I should have even left this town a long time ago, if you know what I mean" He says, laughing
"Clearly..." I say

We chat for at least another hour before he has to get back to work. I promised him I'd come and say goodbye before going back to New York tomorrow, we hugged and then I went home. He wants to be part of my life, he's made it clear that he wants to make up for all the time we've lost, and to be honest nothing can make me happier than that right now, I've even forgotten about my altercation with Sam yesterday. I can't wait to tell Tara about our chat, really, I'm sure she'll be really happy for me.