Chapter Thirty One: I love to protect you, always.

"The thought of losing you makes me sick."

Chapter Thirty One: I love to protect you, always

——— ❥ Upon seeing Bucky awake, the group of friends had realized that they made a grave mistake.

A striking fear collapsed into Bucky as he heard the words slip out of Steve's tongue. He was bombarded by the contradicting emotion of his anger and fear.

A disarray of questions pleaded for his attention, and he wished that what his friends were blabbering to him wasn't true. They couldn't have been this incompetent, could they have?

"How does something like this even happen?" Natasha beat Bucky to speak, and Steve shook his head from his own disappointment.

"I don't know! I should've had someone check back up on them again, it just didn't cross my mind. We were so busy worrying about Bucky I-" Steve stopped himself, watching the intensity in Buckys stance. His body had stiffened beyond relief, strands of his hair covered his face but by the veins straining on his arm Steve knew he was contemplating these circumstances dearly. "Bucky-"

"How the hell," Bucky paused, calming the sincere want to strangle all of them. "do you not notice the disappearance of a young adult- our friend ?" Bucky's tone became deadly, and his gaze refused to meet the eyes of his friends. "And none of you even tried to go find them?" This time he aimed his anger towards his friend group, Steve, Sam, and Natasha. "This is a great starter to the beginning of my life after my coma- no really guys, you truly outdid yourselves, I applaud you."

"Bucky that's enough." Steve butted in, his own guilt coming across defensive. "We sent a cop to go look for them and nothing seemed out of the ordinary."

Natasha nodded, "(Y/n) has always had tendencies to go off by themselves. How were we supposed to know that they weren't okay?"

Bucky snapped. "I would think me being in the hospital would have been enough of a red flag."

"You being in the hospital is what kept most of us preoccupied." Sam finally spoke up, pointing at him to get his point across. He had remained quiet up until now in hopes that someone would bring him out of this nightmare. But the tensions in the room only grew.

No one had the luxury of celebrating Bucky's recovery, because the moment that he had woken up, he had made it his mission to make it all about you.

A sudden knock came from the doorway. "I'm going to have to ask everyone to leave." Doctor Strange interrupted the group, making his presence known. "We're not going to be able to talk to Mr.Barns properly with everyone talking over each other."

Bucky gazed at the man, "We're having a conversation, you can come back later."

But Strange didn't budge, "We've come back several times Mr.Barnes, and unless you want to prove yourself innocent of the charges against you-"