Part 15 It All Begins

Start from the beginning

Walking straight to the Colonel's tent, she entered, snapped a salute and said, "Sir, I'm ready".

——————————————————————

Next Morning-Command Tent with Arik Taranis, Ghota and Count Formal

Ghota: Sir, I think you're going to want to see this.

Taking the data-slate from his equerry's hand Arik Taranis looked over the report sent by the returning scout aircrafts. With a rare look of surprise, he said.

Arik Taranis: Am I seeing this right?

Nodding Ghota explained.

Ghota: The flyers found what looks to be another Gate on a hill that local maps identify as Alnus Hill, this one surrounded by only a few thousand Saderans.

Arik looked to Count Formal for answers, but he too had a clear expression of astonishment on his face.

Count Formal: That's impossible, no more than one Gate has ever appeared at any one time.

Arik Taranis: You did not know of this Gate until now?

Count Formal: Correct my lord, it must have appeared after the Gate on Arnus Hill manifested.

Author's note: I know the JSDF only went through the Gate on Alnus Hill in force after quite some time, but to get this story moving along, I'm going to make the JSDF appear sooner rather than later.

"Hmm", Arik pondered on the army's next course of action, this was a completely unexpected development with no precedent. The situation was becoming increasingly complicated.

Mumbling, he said.

Arik Taranis: It seems the powers playing on this world have gotten bored with only one Gate and sent another.

Ghota then spoke up to question his father.

Ghota: Sir, what are your orders for this matter?

Arik Taranis: Inform the Sigillite of this. For now, order our ground forces to avoid Alnus Hill and some of our aircraft to act as overwatch. Tell me if anything or anyone comes through that Gate immediately.

Ghota: Yes sir.

Arik Taranis: Let us hope whoever is on the other side of that Gate is more reasonable than these Saderans.

Ghota: Sir, I also wish to bring another matter to your attention.

Arik Taranis: What is it Ghota? 

Ghota: Do you recall the abhuman slave I freed? 

Arik Taranis: Yes, what about her? 

Ghota pulled up her data-file and showed it to his Lord. For the second time today, Arik looked surprised before he smiled. 

Arik Taranis: So, we have a princess in our custody. 

An hour later with Lieutenant Minerva Antioch

Minerva Antioch: Reconnaissance Detachment-3, roll-call!

Sergeant Juno Felix, Gender-Female, Weapon-Assault Shotgun and Laspistol, Protection-Flak Armor, Unit-31st Cthonian Wolves Combined Arms Regiment. 

Corporal Aelius Helvetii, Gender-Male, Weapon-M36 Kantrael Pattern Lasrifle, Protection-Flak Armor, Unit-31st Cthonian Wolves Combined Arms Regiment.

Corporal Duilius Nerva, Gender-Male, Weapon-Achillan Mark III "Tread Feather" Missile Tube and Mark III Lascarbine, Protection-Flak Armor, Unit-31st Cthonian Wolves Combined Arms Regiment. 

Private Andrew Benito, Gender-Male, Weapon-Mark III Lascarbine and Extra Missles, Protection-Flak Armor, Unit-31st Cthonian Wolves Combined Arms Regiment. 

Private Calvin Daedalus, Gender-Male, Weapon-M36 Kantrael Pattern Lasrifle, Protection-Flak Armor, Unit-31st Cthonian Wolves Combined Arms Regiment. 

Private Emily Grace, Gender-Female, Weapon-M36 Kantrael Pattern Lasrifle, Protection-Flak Armor, Unit-31st Cthonian Wolves Combined Arms Regiment.

Private Fen Luken, Gender-Male, Weapon-M36 Kantrael Pattern Lasrifle, Protection-Flak Armor, Unit-31st Cthonian Wolves Combined Arms Regiment.

Private Livia Torvald, Gender-Female, Weapon-M36 Kantrael Pattern Lasrifle, Protection-Flak Armor, Unit-31st Cthonian Wolves Combined Arms Regiment.

Private Paul Venis, Gender-Male, Weapon-M36 Kantrael Pattern Lasrifle, Protection-Flak Armor, Unit-31st Cthonian Wolves Combined Arms Regiment.

Private Oracio Quinden, Gender-Male, Weapon-M36 Kantrael Pattern Lasrifle, Protection-Flak Armor, Unit-31st Cthonian Wolves Combined Arms Regiment. 

Along with the Cthonians were two Felinids with camo-cloaks and lascarbines, two Squats in carapace armor and plasma guns and two Beastmen with heavy stubbers. Alongside the abhumans, there were four members of the Solar Auxilia, two with flamers and the others with melters. Last, but certainly not least, were the pair of Night Lords in their garishly ordained midnight-colored armor, jump packs and lightning claws. 

There was also a remembrancer, a pretty young lady who'd requested to join the group and was granted permission by the Colonel. 

Deciding to speak with the gathered force of 23 warriors and one civilian, she spoke. 

Minerva Antioch: Alright all of you, I know none you of know me, but I am Second-Lieutenant Minerva Antioch, and I will be commanding this detachment. We've been tasked with documenting anything that may be of interest and making peaceful contact with the locals, so don't shoot unless fired upon. Now let's move out!

The Cthonians filed into a Chimera, the abhumans into a Testudo and the Solar Auxilia and Astartes into a Dracosan. With the recon force now ready, they drove out of the base and into the unknown. 

Comments would be appreciated