Dreams

"And you're sure that no boys can get into the girls dorms?" Lena asked Hermione and Ginny as they headed down to breakfast, "Absolutely. The stairs would melt away if they tried" Ginny replied,
"I knew it! You must've been hearing one of the ghosts or something" Della piped up; her smile a reassuring beacon to Lena after last nights mysterious voice scenario, "I'm sure I heard it- it was an older voice and it didn't sound scary or anything just... sad." The four girls stepped outside the common room portrait to the never ending staircases, Lena and Della were still bewildered by the magic and wonder the castle held while Hermione and Ginny smiled knowingly at them. Hermione clasped her books between her palms as they pattered down the stairs, her curly hair bobbing with her alike Della's, "One thing to consider is that Harry heard voices last year and it turned out to be a basilisk so I wouldn't advertise that 'the boy who lived's cousin is also hearing voices now too"
"It's like I just said though Hermione, it wasn't an evil sounding voice it kind of reminded me of something I'm just not sure who or what?" Ginny's eyebrow arched as if questioning Lena's sanity but Lena knew in her heart. It couldn't have been like what Harry had experienced, it had felt entirely different to how he described it.

When they got to the great hall students were filtering in slowly, all looking rather drained and in need of more sleep. Della and Lena sat opposite their older friends and glanced around questioning, "Why does everyone look like they're on deaths door?" Della's voice echoed loud enough that the Weasley twins down the table flinched and groaned. "Please lower your voice first year" George moaned, his brother could barely keep his head up on the table; the girls turned back to Hermione and Ginny who were giggling, "Every start of the year there's a party. Everyone usually goes-"
"Except for first years. That's the rule" Ginny said flatly, "It's an all houses thing, mainly the older students like my lovely brothers who clearly had too much butter beer last night" both Fred and George recoiled as their sister's voice raised as she finished. Lena grabbed some toast and split it four ways, placing different spreads on each slice and grabbing some sugar to lump into her tea. "Do you always do that?" Della asked staring at Lena and her breakfast plate, "She always has. She could never choose a favourite flavour so she had to have them all" a familiar voice stated as he sat beside his cousin, his hair a complete mess as usual. "Morning Jamie"
"Morning Rose" Harry smiled, reaching to the scrambled egg bowl across from him, "How was your first night?" Lena looked to Hermione who gave her a look that told her Harry would freak out if he knew she heard a voice in her room so she answered, "Fine. Although I'm annoyed that I didn't know there was a start of term party that first years aren't included in?" Harry held up his hands awkwardly, "I didn't go and unfortunately first years weren't allowed"
"Ugh, we should create our own party then. A welcome to Hogwarts for everyone?" The group nodded and grinned in agreement and all dug into their food before their first lessons.

Lena quickly learned that she was skilled in almost all her subjects, Professor McGonagall commented that she had "a proclivity for the subject of transformative magic" and promptly awarded her house points and later both Lena and Della seemed to excel in Potions despite Snape's constant staring that had clearly followed from the previous night in the Great Hall. "Today we will be concocting a cure for boils, the instructions are in your books- don't waste yours and my time. Begin" Snape drawled to the class in the dingy Potions chamber, Lena and Della were lucky enough to be sat together during this lesson and followed the instructions with ease; "My sister seems to be enjoying herself over there" Della nodded towards the far table. It was clearly meant as some form of sarcasm, as Dorothea sat amongst her fellow Slytherin's not looking away from her work; her braids tucked behind her ear just so that you could make out her dark eyes scanning the text at lightning speed. "Dad and Dodie used to make potions together a lot. I'm surprised she hasn't asked to make another potion yet"
"But isn't she rather shy?" Lena asked, "I mean she barely muttered a word when we first met"
"In a potions chamber, she'll be louder than me" Della stated raising her eyebrows smiling slightly, "God help us all then." The girls giggles reverberated in the chamber resulting in five points being taken from Gryffindor, putting a tiny damper on their mood.