39, The Mayor's Death

"Kara?" Casey called out, unlocking the door to my room.

I laid down on my bed, staring up at the ceiling and lost in my actually void mind. I felt her shake me a little, pulling me out.

"Yeah..." She trailed "Are you okay? Lucia said you rarely eat and you've started locking yourself up again"

"I just have an headache but I'm fine. How was practice?" I asked, changing the topic.

"It was okay. We should go down for dinner, okay? Rauw told me to come get you" She said with a small smile.

"You two have gotten close?" I asked with a smile, getting up and wearing my Gucci slippers.

"We're working on that but I'm happy that we now get to speak in a rather calm tone" she replied.

I nodded, managing to offer her a small smile while trying to hide how sick it actually was. I followed behind her and sat down next to Rio.

"How are you, Kara? I haven't seen nor spoken to you the whole week" Denzel questioned.

"I'm okay" I replied faintly, sipping my water.

"I thought that we could take a week off and go to the beach side villa" Hester proposed.

"That's a good idea" Lawton supported.

"I can't come" Kiernan said "The medicine program is very stressful and I can't take a week off"

"For the first time, Kiernan Wave La Masseria is refusing to do something fun" Rio said in a shock tone.

He rolled his eyes at his words "I could always come at any time if I get bored" he stated.

"What do you think, girls?" Haaland asked "Up for it?"

"Yeah sure" Casey nodded with a smile.

"Umm...." I trailed off, my breathing partly hazy "Yeah. I will come"

"Where's Charlotte anyway? I haven't seen her for some weeks" Rio asked.

"She's at... her boyfriend's house. Surely, moving in with him in sometime" I replied in a low tone "I'm full. I should get to bed now"

All of them remained quiet, surely because of how weird I spoke in that cold low tone and how weak I acted. They sent each other wondrous looks, watching me as I walked out of the dinning room heading to my bed room.

******

The beach side villa was not as big as the family mansion but it sure was a beauty. The beach was just outside our door and the neighbourhood was lovely and quiet. My room was painted in light blue and white colours with a big balcony having the view off the ocean and was just next to Casey and Rio's.

"Like it?" Lawton asked, keeping my suitcase nest to my bed.

I nodded "It's lovely, thanks" I replied.

"We are going for a stroll on the beach in an hour" he informed. I didn't reply and just turned to face out of the window when he gently held my arm.

"Are you okay? This days you're just acting weak and sick" he said.

I shook my head, removing his hand "I'm fine. As I said, it's just a headache"

He hesitated for some minutes before saying "I will drop some meds afterwards" then, he walked out of the room, leaving me to my privacy.

At the back of my mind, I prayed that the creepy man ddintfolloe us and Rauw and intentionally not had many security guards follow us here.

I massaged my temple, walking into the bathroom and having a long bath. I wore my bathrobe and brushed through my hair while staring into my vanity mirror with tearful look on my face.

"I feel like shit" I commented, tying my hair in messy bun and getting dressed in a nude Baby blue button up ribknit crop top, white paper bag belted shorts and my white fluffy slippers before wearing my glasses and walking down with my teddy bear in my hand.

"Let's go!" Lawton chanted. I turned to face Denzel, Hester Haaland and Rauw who were seated down in the living room dressed in casual clothes.

"None of you are coming?" I questioned in a low tone.

"We will join later for the bonfire" Rauw said with a reassuring smile.

I nodded before following behind my siblings already dancing and singing on the beach.

***********

THIRD PERSON POV

"Put the news chanel" Rauw said, immediately as Kara walked out of the house.

"I can't believe Mayor Gutierrez is dead" Hester commented "What about-"

He got cut by the loud informant tone of the journalist reading out the new headlines on the international TV station.

"Newshead line; It's has been just reported and confirmed that Mayor Diego Gutierrez was just found dead at the outsketches of Town in Sicily Island, bucherred and beheaded. Investigations are currently being carried out by the national police on who could outrageous murder"

Rauw remained silent at the news, trying to find a logical explanation to what had just happened.

Mayor Diego Gutierrez was not only the mayor of the town they lived in but he was an associate to their business. He helped them carry out the business in and out of Italy and Sicily Island without interruption. No one out of the Mafia knew of their relationship with Mayor Diego.

"It could always be a different mafia" Denzel stated "I have a very bad feeling"

"Where's Anwen when they fucking need him" Haaland stated, removing his phone and calling Anwen.

"Hey"

"Hey? Have you heard that Mayor Diego is fucking dead?" Haaland questioned.

"Ohh yeah, I've just heard. Do you have any idea who it may be?"

"Of course not. Ercole is having an investigation going on. When are you coming back? Things are so messed up especially the shipments. The police are all over the damn place"

"Soon. I have some stuff to do here in France"

At that, Anwen ended the call, leaving Haaland pretty pissed at his action. He was about to speak when the door burst open and Leylaini walked in with a worried look on her face.

"Rauw, you are in deep shit" she stated, removing her jacket.

"What again? Did we have a raid or something?" Rauw said coldly.

"No" she said "Mayor Gutierrez died 2 days ago and was just found yesterday. The police are having an investigation about the whole thing and La Masseria are their prime suspect because someone sent an anonymous tip about your involvement in some shady business with Mayor Gutierrez being your associate"

Rauw froze in his seat. For the first time in his whole life, he felt afraid and scared of what could happen. He took the phone away from her and read through the messages between her, Ercole and their infiltrate spy in the Sicilian police.

"Who did that?" Denzel asked.

"I don't know. We are still trying to find the person but it seems like he has evaporated into thin space" she replied "No one knows about it yet but you have to suspend any activity you have going on"

Rauw ran his fingers through his hair, feeling frustrated. Things were suddenly getting better with Kara and his family was getting reunited again but he just couldn't have peace as someone mysteriously murders their ally and blame it all on them.

'What will Kara think of us?'