Chapter 3

"And you have to stay out of trouble. No drinking, no making anyone pregnant, and surely no driving!" Emiko continues on in her rant as they are standing in the airport. Haru turns and looks at her, lifting his eyebrow slightly.

"Wha-"

"That's what Korea does to you," she says and points her finger at him, "do not get wrapped up in it. We can't have a scandal on our hands this early in your career."

There's a much bigger scandal coming, I can assure you that.

Haru shakes his head slightly at his own thoughts, even though they might as well be true. If he manages to find his father and somehow convince the man to regain custody, there's a storm coming Emiko's way. The media is not going to like that too much and it will surely put a giant stain on the company's image.

Just picture it: 
The million-dollar corporation EYC lost its heir due to faulty upbringing.
Company loses spot in the big 5 because of unfaithful son.
Embarrassing loss for owners of EYC.

It's going to be amazing.

Emiko has not even once in the four months she has known about this trip worried about her son's well-being. Not asking him to stay free from alcohol, because it could end up with him getting hurt. No, simply to avoid anyone filming him causing trouble or being too stupid.

Just like everything else, it doesn't matter if Haru gets hurt - as long as no one sees it. 

But Haru plans on ruining this very perfect picture his mother has created around him. Like, how can you call it art without making a scene?

"Right..."

"I got a few people over there who will be able to get you out of any legal trouble, I texted the numbers to you," Emiko gently flips her long hair off her shoulder as she crosses her arms over her chest. As always, she looks cold and not sad in the least that her son is going away for 6 months.

Well, it's not like Haru expected her to... but something inside his chest still seems to sting a bit. 

"Fine, whatever," he rolls his eyes slightly and grabs a hold of the large suitcase he's bringing along on the plane. Jaekyung is standing not far away, giving his parents big hugs before his face gets propped with kisses. Haru's just about to head in his direction when he halts.

He tightens his fist slightly around the handle of the suitcase and looks back at Emiko, who is now paying attention to her phone. 

"Make sure to take notes, this is very important for your future," she says while she scrolls through some contacts, "I expect to hear from you occasionally."

She lifts her hand and gently taps Haru's cheek. Her cold fingertips against his skin feel foreign and uncomfortable, but for some reason, his face still drops slightly in disappointment when the contact is severed. 

Emiko lifts her phone and places it against her ear, "yes, Emiko speaking. Right, I will meet you there in 10 minutes." She snaps her fingers at her driver who bows at Haru, before the both of them start to turn around and walk in the direction of the exit. Haru feels his chest tighten as he sees his mother leave the area without anything as simple as a goodbye. Simply an order and a tap on the cheek.

Fucking witch.

Haru doesn't let the frustration show on his face as he turns his back to his mother and walks towards his friend. As always, he's immediately met with the warmth and love of a caring family which he could never get from home.

"Haru-san, let me give you a hug~" Jaekyung's mother, Seo-ah, says before she drags him into a tight embrace and almost squeezes the life out of him. The woman has always been very loving and touchy, but Haru doesn't mind at all. Actually, he happily returns the hug and smiles gently at the lady.