Chapter 11: Love and Pride

"You need more water, babe?" 

"No, I'm okay. Thanks though." 

Following her discussion with Max, Annabelle had decided to let everything settle for a moment as she went into her sparring session with Eric. She found that it was a good way to blow off steam from the unsettling news she had learned from Max. No longer able to take her stress out on Eric though, she found herself growing anxious once again at the impending conversation that needed to be had with her boyfriend. Ever the observant partner, Eric noticed Annabelle's growing distress too as he took a seat next to her at his kitchen counter. 

"Okay, talk to me. You were sparring more erratically today, and your leg is shaking like it's on a train. What's going on?" 

Annabelle scoffed lightly, annoyed at how well Eric could read her despite how hard she tried to hide her emotions from him the way that he so easily could. Knowing he wouldn't let the issue rest though, she reached into her gym bag and pulled out the picture she was given by Max. 

"Do you know who this woman is?" 

Eric lifted the picture slightly to get a better look, his brow furrowing in confusion as he realized where this discussion was going, or so he thought. 

"Yeah. She's the leader of the Factionless rebels that have started making moves. That's still a highly classified situation though. Max let you in on this?" 

"Eric, that's my mother." 

"What? That's impossible. You told me your mother died." 

"I know. I thought she did. But I was young and never actually saw a body. It was just what Marcus told us. And apparently the rest of Abnegation so he wouldn't look bad. Apparently, she just left. Max says she's been with the Factionless for years."

Eric seemed to ponder this for a moment, unsure of what to say mainly because he couldn't exactly tell how Annabelle was taking the news. But then again, maybe she hadn't had time to process it herself yet. 

"Okay. So, how are you taking that?" 

"I don't know yet. I think I'm still in shock, but the more I think about it, the more I start to feel angry more than anything else. She left. Without me. Without Tobias. She left us with Marcus."

"Maybe she didn't think he'd hurt you guys. Just her." 

"Why risk it? We were her children. We should have been her first priority. Her only priority. I can't imagine being so selfish." 

Understanding that this wasn't an easy subject, Eric stood from his seat to place himself directly in front of Annabelle, lifting her chin so she would look him in the eyes from where he stood above her. 

"You're right. It was wrong of her to leave you. But you still came out of Abnegation the strongest person I've ever met. And hey, maybe if she had stayed or if she had taken you and Four with her, you wouldn't have met me." 

Annabelle smiled at the sentiment as her arms wrapped around Eric's neck, her fingers playing with the soft, buzzed hairs at the nape of his neck. Eric smiled back lovingly as his arms wrapped around Annabelle's waist, bringing himself even closer to stand between her legs. 

"We would have met. Because I have no doubt that we both still would have ended up here, in Dauntless. And I'm sure I still would have been the only person to not be afraid of you." 

Eric laughed at the thought, his smile matching Annabelle's own as they fell into another moment of peaceful silence. It only took about a minute of staring into Annabelle's beautiful eyes before Eric couldn't help himself any longer and leaned forward to press his lips to Annabelle's. He felt Annabelle's tension immediately relax into the kiss which encouraged him pull her in closer, allowing Eric better access to move his lips over to her jaw and then down to her neck. Annabelle gasped at the feeling of Eric's lips trailing her upper body and she found her hold on him tightening, signaling that she did not want him to stop. Without even thinking, Annabelle's hands found the hem of Eric's tank top and the article of clothing was suddenly flung across the room, allowing Annabelle her first real look at Eric's body since before he left her in Abnegation. Eric smirked as he noticed her staring and Annabelle blushed once realizing she had been caught. Eric pulled her back into another searing kiss while lifting her from the kitchen stool and walking the pair of them over to the couch where he laid Annabelle on her back, his body now hovering dangerously close over hers.