Chapter 1: The Night We Met

Life in Abnegation wasn't all bad. Sure, the food was boring, the cloths were boring, the work was boring. But there was also a small sense of freedom that came with living on the very edge of society, being surrounded by open forest and fields compared to the bustling city that encapsulated so many of the other factions. Still, Annabelle Eaton would have given anything to be a part of city life, even if her current circumstances weren't as horrible as they turned out to be. The young girl wasn't entirely sure how long she had been sitting out in the fields, just listening to the birds chirp from the trees nearby and running her fingers through the tall dry grass. But she wasn't worried. She knew that her brother, Tobias, would call her in when it became necessary. Before her father realized that she spent half the afternoon daydreaming instead of sitting in her room with nothing to do. 

After their mother died when Annabelle was just four years old, something had shifted in their father. Marcus Eaton became more prone to anger, and he showed that anger through the bruises and scars he left on his children's bodies. Well, Tobias' body. It only took hitting Annabelle one time before Tobias ensured that would never happen again. Not on his watch. Without Tobias, Annabelle knew she wouldn't survive long in that household. She dreaded the day that she knew she'd have to. 

"Annabelle! Annabelle! He's home early. Hurry!" 

Startled by her brother's words, Annabelle bolted from her laying position in the fields and made a mad dash for the house. She could see the small figure of her fourteen-year-old brother anxiously waiting for her to make it back to him so he could usher her safely back into her room before her father realized she had left the house. Annabelle always felt horrible that Tobias took her beatings for her despite always being the one to break the rules, but he'd hear none of it. He told her that she deserved to live and be a kid like he was able to for a short time before their mother died. And so, he always ensured she had time outside to play and be free, even on days where it could only be for a few minutes. 

Annabelle made it to Tobias just in time, but not before their father had already seen her running in from the fields. Tobias turned upon seeing her fearful expression, but paid Marcus no real mind as he pushed his younger sister into the house and slammed the door shut behind him. 

"Quick, go to your room and lock the door. Move your bed or your dresser in front of it too." 

"Come with me. Then we'll both be safe." 

"You know that will only make it worse when we eventually do come down. Just go. I can take it." 

Tears filled Annabelle's eyes at her brother's words as her eyes scanned his already bruise ridden body. Tobias was tall for his age, but still incredibly scrawny, as Abnegation work didn't call for much strength. The door behind Tobias opened and all eyes turned to Marcus Eaton once again. 

"Annabelle, go. Now!" 

Without another moment's hesitation, Annabelle ran up the stairs to her bedroom where she followed her brother's previous orders. She locked and barred the door before running into the furthest corner of the room and huddling into a tight ball. It was silent for longer than Annabelle expected before she heard the first slap echo through the cement walls of the small house. Annabelle flinched, but refrained from covering her ears. It already wasn't fair that Tobias took the beatings meant for her. She didn't do him the dishonor of also saving herself from hearing his pain. She felt bad enough for not being strong enough to face her father herself. She wasn't going to allow herself the sweet relief of not hearing his rather either though when her brother had to deal with both. 

The sounds of each slap, kick, and punch made its way to Annabelle's ears like always, but then she heard something that made her blood run cold. Something she didn't typically hear when Marcus took his anger out on Tobias. A cry for help.