Chapter 3: Free at Last

1 year later

This was it. Today was the day. In less than an hour, Annabelle Eaton would be free from her life in Abnegation forever. She made her way into the hall for the choosing ceremony alone, as Marcus had needed to leave earlier to prepare for hosting again this year. Annabelle walked in and admired the sea of colors lining the benches in the hall, but her eyes rested on the black of Dauntless more than any of the others. They scanned the numerous smiling faces that exuded from that particular faction and couldn't help but feel her own excitement at joining them so soon. Her smile faltered though as her eyes landed on one face in particular, one that was staring back at her. 

Upon looking into those deep brown eyes again, Eric worked to make his way down the bottom of the Dauntless section in the hall, pushing past anyone in his way. It was all futile though as Annabelle immediately turned to push her own way through the crowds and across the hall to the Abnegation section of the hall. 

"Anna! Anna!" 

Straight ahead, Annabelle found the one face that she was hoping to see. The one face that she hadn't seen in a whole year. 

"Tobias!" 

Annabelle ran into her brother's arms as he lifted her up and spun her around as best he could in the crowded space. Upon setting her back on the ground again, he pulled back slightly to look over her in shock. Had it not been for her unchanging eyes, Tobias wasn't sure he would have even recognized her. She had grown easily three inches since the last time he saw her, but most surprisingly, she was strong. Very clearly and noticeably strong. The thought made him feel immensely proud, but also terrified. What had she endured to gain so much strength in the span of just one year? 

"What happened to you? Did you get a hold of some steroids or something." 

"No, you idiot. I just did what I needed to do. To survive." 

At Annabelle's statement, Tobias spared a glance up on the stage to find Marcus already staring at his children. Annabelle noticed this too and with no subtlety at all, flipped him off in front of anyone who may be watching. Marcus visibly stiffened at this and turned his attention to anything else in the room. 

"That was bold of you." 

"Yeah well, I'm not the same girl you left a year ago." 

"Anna--" 

"I know, I know. I don't blame you. You needed to leave. It's the other asshole that I blame." 

From behind Tobias's shoulder, Annabelle could spot Eric still staring at her from the Dauntless section of the hall. Similarly to what she'd done to Marcus, she openly flipped him off... with both hands causing the man to finally look away and find a seat with Dauntless. 

"Alright, you better go get a seat. You ready?" 

"More than you know." 

"Okay. I'll see you soon." 

"See you soon." 

-----

Annabelle sat in excited anticipation as she waited for her name to be called. This year the ceremony started from the end of the alphabet, forcing Annabelle to wait longer than she initially planned. But finally the time came, and she'd never been more prepared for anything in her life. 

"Annabelle Eaton." 

With zero hesitation, Annabelle leapt from her seat and skipped down the steps to the front of the stage. The knife on the table sliced through her palm with ease as she looked up to stare Marcus dead in the eyes while moving her hand over the hot coals to the far left of the table. The sound of sizzling told Anna that her blood had dropped into her chosen bowl and she held Marcus's gaze, wanting to see the look on his face when he said the word. With a clenched jaw and extreme hesitation, he did just that.