Chapter 4: Welcome to Dauntless

"Alright, Dauntless borns, you go with Lauren. Transfers stay here with me. Circle up."

All transfers shifted closer towards their leaders while the Dauntless born initiates left the area, showing just how few of them there would be this year, only ten transfers total. 

"You've all already met Eric here. I'm Four. We'll be handling your training this year and it will be overseen by one of our other leaders, Max. Before any of you can become real members of Dauntless, you'll go through two months of training, the first physical and the second, mental. We are going to push your bodies and minds to the breaking points. Unlike the other factions, we are tasked with protecting this city. That means you have to know how to fight. How to kill if necessary." 

It didn't escape Annabelle's notice that Tobias looked deeply in her eyes as he said those last words. She knew he'd want to talk eventually about what she'd endured during their time apart, but that wasn't something she was sure she'd be ready for for a while yet. 

"Now, Max is going to go over some new rules we'll be putting in place for your training this year." 

Tobias stepped away to finally reveal Max to the new transfers. He was of average height but very strong build and oozed confidence and strength. Annabelle could definitely understand why he'd be recruited for leadership. It made her wonder how she could do the same. 

"Like Four said, I'm Max, one of seven leaders here at Dauntless. Unlike the other factions, Dauntless is tasked with very specific jobs in our society. Jobs that some people are up to the task for, and others are not. For this reason, the following two rules will be put in place immediately for your training. Number one, no conceding. In the first stage of training, you'll be learning how to fight in hand-to-hand combat and with weapons. There will be no yielding in your sparring sessions. So, you either win, or better learn how to take a punch really quick." 

Both Eric and Tobias's eyes instinctually shifted to Annabelle, who to their surprise, merely smirked at Max's statement.

"Number two, throughout your training you will be ranked and at the end of each stage of training those at the bottom will be kicked out of Dauntless."

Chaotic whispers exploded from the Dauntless initiates, but Annabelle remained silent, that same disconcerting smirk resting peacefully on her face the whole time.

"How could you all not tell us that?!" 

The outburst from Freddie caused Eric to stand up aggressively and storm right between Max and this year's transfers. Everyone took a few steps back at his sudden intrusion, but not Annabelle. Unlike these other transfers, she knew Eric. And the last thing she was was afraid of him. 

"Why should we have? Would you have chosen differently? Because if that's the case, you can get out now. If you're truly Dauntless, it won't matter that you might fail. And if you're truly Dauntless, you won't fail." 

Eric's words silenced everyone into submission. He was right. Those who truly belonged would prove it either by ranking high and remaining safely in Dauntless, or by leaving with no fuss because they knew they'd given it everything they had. Regardless of the outcomes, they all would come to know very quickly who truly belonged and who didn't. 

"Four will show you all to the dorm you'll be in during training, then give you a tour of the Pit. Training starts tomorrow at 0600. Be ready." 

-----

0600 did not come easily for Annabelle the next morning. Especially not when being woken by Tobias banging a metal pipe against the metal structures of the dorms where Anna and the other transfer initiates slept. Still, there was a small surge of excitement that pushed Annabelle forward to get dressed and head up to the Pit with little fuss. By the time Annabelle had arrived at the Pit for training, Isabel, now known as Izzy, was already there and practically bursting with excitement.