Chapter 20- Curses

Jason POV
I sat up panting and covered in sweat. Burying my face in my hand, I exhaled a shaky breath. I ran my hand through my unruly hair before getting up and moving to the bathroom. I turn on the tap and rinse my face and desperately try to clear my mind, only it wasn't working.

Walking towards the door, I grab a jacket on my way out of the apartment. I close the door carefully to make sure that Preston and Caroline don't hear the sound of me leaving the top floor. Natalie would have been a problem too if she didn't go to stay with her family last night. I don't know what that lady does at this time but she never seems to go to bed.

I walk quietly down the stairs to the next floor. The top floor was the restricted floor where the for alpha, beta and gamma resided while the floor directly below it was for special guests. Only a few pack members have access to that floor which was why I put Cassandra there. It reduces the chances of her being seen. Though that didn't exactly work out and now my dad knows exactly what I've been hiding from him but I don't give a shit.

I'm not rejecting Cassandra not only because of her being the next Luna or the pain from rejection but because I just can't. It could be the mate bond.

Fortunately, he told those pack members to never mention anything about Cassandra to anyone. He wants to avoid chaos as much as I do.

I manage to make it down the stairs without anyone hearing me. I did this anytime I had a nightmare. I would walk around the pack house to get my mind off shit. I need a clear mind and sometimes a good walk does the trick.

I've had nightmares since I was fourteen but it seemed especially bad tonight probably because of what happened earlier in the day. The images I saw weren't at all pretty and I really don't want to remember those times of my life. Those times weren't rosy in the slightest. I have a feeling that I was cursed but I have no idea who would do that or what type of curse it was exactly.

Only three rooms on this floor were occupied. Cassandra had one and the siblings had one each. I make my way down the hallway quietly to avoid waking up anyone but I'm suddenly startled by a loud scream coming from one of the rooms. I rush towards Cassandra's door and practically throw it open in panic.

I see Cassandra rolling over on her bed screaming. The sight makes a sudden feeling of hurt and pain go through me. The sight was all too familiar.

"Cassandra!" I shake her gently to try to wake her up and after a few tries she finally does. I do my best to comfort her before attempting to leave.

I'm beyond surprised when she asked me to stay and I just couldn't refuse. I know exactly what it feels like, I didn't want to be alone when I was a kid as well and sometimes even now.

Everyone has this image in their head that the alpha  always has to be strong and feel no sort of pain whatsoever but that's fucking unrealistic. Everyone feels pain no matter how strong they are. Everyone gets hurt, but we have the pressure to live up to these stereotypes. Not just alphas but males in general.

I lay down beside her 'cause frankly I've got nothing better to do. I doubt that I'll be able to fall asleep again but at least I can help Cassandra.

She falls asleep not too long after. I turn my head and stare at the back of her head for a few seconds thinking about our conversation earlier today. She thinks I hate her? Honestly, I don't. It's complicated but it has nothing to do with her, more of her species. I thought I was over it and I could overlook the fact that she's a vampire but it proved to be more difficult than I had earlier expected. Vampires have a huge part in my horrible past and I don't think I would ever completely get over my dislike for them. I do know deep down that not all of them are like that, like Drake for example but it's still difficult to erase the image from my head.