XXII

~Orion Montgomery~

A frown found itself replacing the relaxed smile on Orion Montgomery's face. Turning her head, she found a similar expression of apprehension on Spencer's features. She had a feeling she knew just exactly who was at the door, and honestly, she did not feel like dealing with that right now. 

Or ever, actually.

"I'll get it!" Nathaniel called as he made his way over to the front of the house. Leaving Clover with Thea for the moment.

"Something feels wrong." Spencer murmured to Orion.

"I'm getting the same feeling." She sighed. "Shall we go take a peek?"

When Spencer nodded, the two got up from the couch and quietly made their way towards the hall that led to the front entrance. Peeking around the doorframe to try and see what was going on.

"Hello-" Nathaniel began in a friendly tone as he opened the door, but immediately cut himself off. "What are you doing here?"

"What do you think?!" A slightly nasaley male voice huffed loudly. "I'm here to see my fiancée!"

Orion made a face and turned to look at Spencer with her nose scrunched up in distaste. He, again, had a similar look on his face.

"First of all, James, my sister is not your fiancée just because you and my parents say so. Second of all, this is my house and I've decided I don't want you here. Thirdly, I highly doubt she has any interest in seeing you, so you can save yourself the humiliation and just go away." Nathaniel stated calmly and Orion could only assume he was staring down the man with what Anna had coined as the Montgomery Death Glare.

James Bennet let out an angry growl. "I have every right to see her! The agreement between our families has already been finalized, so she is my fiancée and I'd prefer if she stopped canoodling in her affair with that string bean of a man!" His voice got progressively louder as he continued.

"Oh really?!" Orion snapped, storming down the hall with Spencer hurrying after her. "You do realize that if I so choose, I could get Leo to help me press charges against you and our parents for attempting to force me into an arranged marriage unwillingly?"

Nathaniel stepped back as he turned to see their approach. Unintentionally opening the door wider to reveal the form of the man her parents wanted her to marry. The dull green eyes and sandy blond hair still the same as when she'd last seen James in the twelfth grade. An arrogant grin stretched across his face when he caught sight of her.

"Ah my dear, you look so lovely today." He said, as if flattery would erase the fact that he was pretty much demanding that she belonged to him.

"Put a sock in it." Orion scowled at him.

"Orion, would you just consider reason? You're a member of the upper class, it only makes sense for you to marry among your equals." James seemed to be purposefully shifting his body in an attempt to show off the muscle he'd built up in the last decade. Orion wasn't impressed.

"Well then I guess you'll be alone for the rest of your life James, because from what I can see, you haven't changed. You still act as though everyone and everything is beneath you." Orion raised an eyebrow at the man. Watching as he clenched his teeth behind his, now forced, smile. His hands balling into fists at his sides.

"What, and that string bean is your equal? You really think his pathetic government salary will be enough for you?" James wrinkled his nose as he glanced behind Orion to where Spencer was standing with his hand lightly pressed to the small of her back.