Issue 11: Good As Gold

Start from the beginning

Golden Goblin took a seat on the ledge. "If I had placed some around, I'm sure your fancy little sixth-sense would've detected them by now. I'm here to...offer a proposal."

"A proposal?" Luz asked, covering her mouth. "Oh...oh, this is so sudden! I...I'm sorry, but there is another! Oh, and you're also psychotic..."

"Not wrong." Golden Goblin cackled. "But no...a partnership kind of proposal. I've seen firsthand what you can do, little spider..."

Luz crossed her arms again. "It's Spider-Witch. Took a note from that supposed insult you called me yesterday."

"...witch, huh?" Golden Goblin asked. "How ironic...your power is pure magic. You haven't even unlocked the full potential of the power you've been given, and you're already stronger than any mere human being."

He then looked out at the city. "There are billions of people across the world...yet, two of them are incredibly exceptional. You and me...we may have different powers from different sources, but at the end of the day, power is power..."

Spider-Witch's eyes narrowed. "What? You're saying I should use my power for myself?"

"Not quite." Golden Goblin said. "But, you could...what I'm offering is a partnership. Imagine what we could accomplish together. What we could create! What we could destroy! Anything we want at our very fingertips...you want to help people? We can help people. You want to conquer? This entire city doesn't stand a chance at defending themselves..."

He then stepped closer to her. "And do you really have any idea where your powers actually come from? How dangerous they actually are despite the fact that you've hardly even scratched the surface?"

Spider-Witch took a step back. "Whatever my powers are, I'm using them for what is right...and even if I were to believe you, that doesn't take away the fact that you went after innocent people just to lure me out!"

"It worked, didn't it?" Golden Goblin cackled. "I wouldn't reject my proposal just yet, Spider-Witch...think about it. There is so much that we know that you don't...and the answers can be yours."

Spider-Witch's eyes widened. "'We'? What? Who are you working with?"

"If you say yes when we meet again? You'll find out." Golden Goblin smirked as his glider came flying back.

Spider-Witch then lunged forward. "Or I find out now with you behind bars-!"

Golden Goblin then suddenly threw down a smoke bomb, disorienting Spider-Witch and causing her to cough and stumble. He then hopped onto his glider and flew off quickly, escaping and living to fight another day.

Spider-Witch cleared the smoke and even lifted her mask just slightly so she could cough. After she was done, she put her mask back down and looked around for her foe, but to no avail.

She then hopped off the building, swinging around to see if she could find him. But after a while of searching, it was clear that he was gone.

'Does...does he know where that spider came from? And does he think I'm stupid enough to actually consider his offer?! He's a psycho!' Spider-Witch thought as she swung. 'He tried to kill me yesterday! I may wanna know what my powers are, but I'm not going to go bad just to find out! It's a mystery I can solve myself...right?'

She then landed somewhere, sitting down just to get her head straight. 'I should probably head home...Mama and Vee are probably-'

"It's...it's you..." A familiar voice whispered.

Spider-Witch jumped and she quickly whipped around again, realizing she was sitting on a balcony. And then, she froze.

Amity. She was at Amity's home.

"Amity- I-I mean Miss Blight! Ummm...hello!" Spider-Witch said, blushing profusely under her mask and silently praying the strange voice-changing of her mask was working.

Amity looked at her in surprise. "You...know my name?"

"I-I heard your name from your cop-father yesterday!" Spider-Witch said. "P-plus, you look like an Amity! It's a pretty name...n-not to sound like a creep or anything!"

Amity blinked before suddenly...giggling. "You're around my age under that mask, aren't you?"

"Psh! Whaaaat? Nooo!" Spider-Witch cried before facepalming. "I totally just gave it away by saying that, didn't I?"

"Yes." Amity smirked.

Spider-Witch sighed. "I suck at this secret identity thing...you haven't already figured out who I am, have you?"

"No?"

"Please don't try." Spider-Witch said. "I know I'm basically a complete stranger, but it's so I can protect the people I care about."

Amity's eyes softened. "I...I had a feeling. I don't intend to try and find out, Spider...ummm..."

"Spider-Witch." She said. "I finally made a choice, heh!"

Amity looked at her costume for a moment before mumbling. "It does resemble The Good Witch Azura..."

Spider-Witch's eyes widened, especially at the thought of her crush being an Azura fan. "What?"

"Uhh, I mean! It looks...really mystical!" Amity quickly corrected. "So, uhh, makes sense!"

Spider-Witch nodded before standing up. "W-well, I accidentally landed here, s-so I'll leave you be-"

"W-wait!" Amity said, suddenly grabbing her hand.

Spider-Witch's eyes widened and her face reddened even further under the mask. "Y...yes...?"

"I...I never thanked you." Amity said. "F...for saving my life yesterday..."

Spider-Witch slowly hopped off the balcony to properly stand across from her, not taking Amity's hand off her own. "I...y-you're welcome...it's what I do."

"...my dad thinks you're some kind of reckless vigilante." Amity said. "Or...he used to. He's a cop, so maybe he appreciates the help. I'm not sure, he's hard to read."

Spider-Witch laughed a bit. "Not many people are fond of me is what I'm hearing from this..."

"...I-I wouldn't say that." Amity said. "You saved my life, Spider-Witch...you save so many people and actually take a stand to people who just try to make lives worse. You put yourself in danger just for others...that's actually...inspiring. You're a hero."

Spider-Witch's face reddened even more as she looked into Amity's beautiful eyes. "I...I...t-thank you..."

"...is that golden guy gonna come back?" Amity asked suddenly.

Spider-Witch suddenly gave Amity's hand a reassuring squeeze. "I think so...but, he's not going to hurt anyone..."

"...thank you again." Amity whispered, smiling softly at her. "I...if there's anything I can do to repay you-"

"J-just stay safe." Spider-Witch said before slowly letting go of her hand. "I-I better gay though- GO. I-I MEAN GO! UHHH...B-BYE!" She cried before quickly swinging off.

Amity watched her swing off with some slight confusion at her last words, but also in awe at how she just effortlessly took off into the air. She then smiled a bit before walking inside.