Chapter 1 part 2: Tenno Heika Banzai!

On that momentous day of July 6th, 1868, the world braced itself for an epic clash of nations as the Japanese Empire and the Prussians declared war, igniting a bloody conflict that would endure for over two arduous years. The stage was set for a struggle that would test the limits of human courage and determination.

The 1st and 3rd Imperial armies, each comprising formidable 20 battalions, stood resolute as they meticulously prepared their invasion forces destined for the strategic British Shaozhou and Singapore. These key points posed a looming threat to the Japanese naval supremacy, their well-situated ports providing the British with the critical advantage of refueling before rejoining the fray. To free their remaining navy for the British island, seizing control of these vital locations became a matter of utmost urgency.

In distant West African Gambia, the Japanese Imperial Army gathered its might, amassing three armies totaling 50 battalions each, comprised of regular soldiers and conscripts. While the Japanese army might have trailed behind in technology, their naval prowess stood on par with modern standards, and they chose to bank on their numerical strength rather than superior technology—a strategy that would come to test their resolve as the war unfolded.

Four Rear Admirals commanded the formidable Imperial Navy, each with 40 vessels under their charge. Two of these admirals, Masujiro Matsudaira and Heichiro Togo, were tasked with escorting the invasion forces. Simultaneously, the other two admirals were entrusted with disrupting the British naval supply network for the West African Gambia front, a pivotal move that would bolster the Japanese army's advancement in the African theater.

On the other side of the world, the Austrian front faced a formidable Prussian force, boasting an impressive assemblage of over 300 battalions, most of which consisted of well-drilled conscripts. The Prussians prided themselves on the might and technological advancements of their Royal Prussian Army, a force that would easily counter the Austrian's numerical advantage on the ground.

And so, the stage was set for an enthralling struggle—an intertwining narrative of Japanese recognition and independence and the German Unification War. The course of history was about to be reshaped, and the world held its breath in anticipation of the triumphs, tragedies, and indomitable spirit that would define this era of tumultuous conflict.

August 1st, 1868, marked a pivotal moment in the war as the charismatic Brigadier General Sukenori Ito led his invasion force onto Shaozhou, meeting little resistance. However, on the distant shores of Singapore, Brigadier General Gentaro Kodama faced a daunting challenge, pitted against a formidable British garrison of 5 battalions. The battle was arduous, stretching on for three grueling days, and only through the daring and reckless attack of General Kodama, who had honed his skills at the esteemed Prussian Officer's School, did the Imperial Army prevail. Victory came at a heavy cost, with a staggering 9,000 of his men falling on the field of battle.

Across the vast African front, three Brigadier Generals encountered unyielding resistance from the British forces, boasting an imposing 90 battalions. Time and again, their attacks were repelled, exacting a toll of over 30,000 Japanese soldiers while claiming only 12,000 British casualties in return. The tide of battle seemed relentless, and the Japanese forces found themselves teetering on the brink of defeat. Only the strategic disruption of the British naval supply network provided a crucial lifeline, preventing a complete rout.

In the face of this formidable challenge, the General Staff made a decisive order—to shift their focus to a defensive stance, holding their ground until the reinforcement of the Asian army arrived to continue the offensive. 

Amidst the relentless pursuit of victory on the Austrian front, the Prussian army displayed unwavering determination, capturing key cities such as Prague and Vienna. The campaign spanned five arduous months, with the Austrians putting up fierce resistance and reinforcement continuously arriving to bolster their ranks. The Prussians, though momentarily slowed, refused to be deterred for long.

On September 17th, 1868, the much-awaited arrival of the Asian army breathed new life into the theater, fortifying it with an additional 40 battalions. The British soldiers, already demoralized by the scarcity of supplies due to the relentless raids by the Imperial Navy, now faced a revitalized and determined Japanese force.

With the arrival of the Asian army, the offensive commenced with battle after battle, each victory coming at a heavy cost to the Japanese forces. The struggle intensified, and both sides were equally determined to claim victory.

Then, on the fateful day of December 8th, 1868, a dramatic encounter occurred at sea. The British navy of 20 vessels strong, led by the arrogant and prestigious Commodore Philip Faulds, crossed paths with the Imperial Japanese Navy of 40 Vessels Strong, commanded by Admiral Hiroshi Jutoku. The British navy, underestimating the capabilities of what they deemed a "barbaric" and "backward" nation, were taken by surprise as they encountered Japanese Monitors—ships equipped with advanced technology.

Despite his past victories in numerical disadvantages, Commodore Philip had never encountered such a formidable opponent. Believing he could still prevail, he confronted the numerically superior Japanese fleet with unwavering confidence. Little did he know that the Japanese officer staff had undergone rigorous training under the Americans, making them formidable opponents.

A four-day-long battle ensued, and though it was hard-fought, the outcome was an unequivocal defeat for the British forces. Six Japanese vessels and two Monitors were lost, but it was a resounding victory for Admiral Jutoku. This momentous event marked a turning point in the war and placed Japan firmly on the international stage as a formidable naval power—one that had bested the mighty British navy. The supremacy of "Britannia rule the waves" had been challenged, and a new era of naval rivalry was born. The world watched in awe and intrigue as the Japanese Empire announced its arrival as a force to be reckoned with, not only at sea but one day also on land.

In the aftermath of the British defeat at sea, the demoralized British forces defending the front in Africa offered little resistance, allowing the Imperial Japanese army to secure the front by January 1st, 1869. Coincidentally, on the same fateful day, the Austrians surrendered, marking a turning point in the war.

With these victories under their belt, the Japanese Empire and the Prussians began planning their invasion of the British Isles. Two distinct objectives were set: Major General Iwao Oyama would lead a force of nearly 150 battalions to secure the beaches of the Province of Yorkshire, while the Germans would focus on securing the shores of East Anglie.

On February 15th, 1869, Operation San Go was put into action. The invasion force set sail, escorted by the recently promoted Admiral Hiroshi Jutoku, commanding 80 formidable vessels. Meanwhile, the Germans provided their own escort for their invasion, totaling 90 vessels.

As the invasion force ventured toward the British Isles, another momentous event unfolded. The British navy, consisting of 100 powerful vessels under the leadership of Grand Admiral Thomas Alexander—the same admiral who once forced Japan's hand into submission—patrolled the coasts, intercepting the formidable Imperial Japanese navy.

The fate of the Japanese Empire and the outcome of this epic struggle hung in the balance. The world watched in anticipation as the valor and sacrifice of the brave sailors etched a poignant chapter in the annals of history. The result of this critical battle would not only shape the destiny of nations but also leave an indelible mark on the rise of the Japanese Empire.