01

8 years later...

Charlotte, North Carolina

July 4th, 2023

Isabella Karlee Karter

"Jazz, come the fuck on! I was supposed to be home an hour ago!"  Eighteen year old Isabella fussed at her best friend of 4 years before checking the time on her iphone 13 pro max

She sucked her teeth when she saw that it was a little past one in the morning.

"Relax Izzy, we about to leave in a minute, let me find Jameek so I can tell him bye." Jazzlyn said referring to her on again off again boyfriend of two years

Isabella rolled her dark brown eyes as she stared at Jazz, if looks could kill, Jazzlyn would be dead.

"Bitch you dragged me to this hot ass block party for Jameek's trifling ass? I should slap the shit out you Jazz." Isabella mugged her

It was the fourth of July and Jazzlyn basically begged Isabella to come with her to a neighborhood block party in downtown Charlotte. Isabella wasn't really fucking with the idea due to the fact that she was antisocial, she was very selective of who she hung around and places she went. So coming to this party was definitely out of her element, but after Jazzlyn promised her that they would only show their face then dip, Isabella agreed to come. Now after being at the overcrowded party for over four hours, it was safe to say that Jazz lied to her.

"Izzy please!" Jazz stomped her feet and pouted like a toddler, "I'll make it up to you, just gimme five more minutes and I promise we'll be gone."

Isabella shook her head, "Hurry the fuck up Jazzlyn, I should be home and in my bed right now. My brothers are gonna kick my ass."

"5 minutes." Jazz reiterated with a smile before disappearing into the crowd of people to find Jameek

Isabella sighed in frustration as she tapped her phone screen to see that her battery percentage was at ten percent. Her anxiety started to rise as she thought about how the night could get any worse. What if they started shooting and she couldn't find Jazz? What if her phone completely died? What if she had no way to get back home? Her anxious thoughts mixed with the loud music, obnoxious talking and yelling, drunk bodies moving past her, and the strong smell of marijuana was giving Isabella a horrible headache. She needed to go home. Her eyes scanned the block for Jazzlyn's red 2017 Honda Accord, she decided she would wait for her by the car being that she was over the party scene.

Once Isabella spotted Jazz's car, she had nothing but tunnel vision as she made her way through the various crowds of people. She put some pep in her step as walked down the street towards Jazz's car while being sure to take note of her surroundings. Hell would freeze over before anybody got the chance to run up on her. As she continued to walk towards the car, her walking came to a halt when she heard a familiar voice from behind her.

"What you doing on this side of town?" The deep voice questioned

"Fuck." Isabella mumbled to herself. She mentally rolled her eyes before turning around and coming face to face with her ex boyfriend, Aaron Jackson also known as "AJ".

"Yeah, I got your fuck. What the hell you doing on this side of town Isabella?" Aaron reiterated as he looked at her

He stood to be about 6'1 in height, had dark brown eyes that matched his smooth dark brown skin tone,  shoulder length locs that he wore in a man bun on top of his head, and he had a tattoo sleeve that covered his right arm. His build was muscular, yet he was still slim in nature.