PROLOGUE

Atlanta, Georgia

Saturday, June 20th, 2015

Isabella Karlee Karter

"Don't ever depend on a nigga for nothing Isabella". Isabella's father preached to her as he fixed the loose chain on her purple bicycle

He wanted to just buy her a new one but he gifted her the bike for her 8th birthday so he knew it held some type of sentimental value for his daughter which is why he had no problem fixing it up for her. Ten year old Isabella Karlee Karter sat on the porch of the six bedroom house in Buckhead, a gated community on the Northside of Atlanta, that she's known as home since she was a baby and nodded her head taking in what her father, Ishmel Kareem Karter just told her.

"And you pretty" he went on "So as you get older, a lot of them niggas around your age, hell maybe even the older ones, gone have they eyes on you. Don't entertain none of they bum asses and keep your legs closed. You remember what I told you?" Ishmel took his attention off the bike and looked over at his daughter

She looked at him and nodded her head before responding, "Wait till marriage to have sex and focus on the books not the boys because boys bring babies".

Although Isabella was only ten, Ishmel made it his duty to educate her on boys and sex early. She was his only daughter and he was the definition of overprotective when it came down to Izzy. He wanted to put her on game at an early age so no man could ever have the chance to take advantage of her.

"They sure do" He focused his attention back on Isabella's bike "How you think your brother got here?" He smirked referring to her oldest brother Ishmel Junior

Isabella scrunched up her face and sucked her teeth, "Yuck daddy, I don't want to hear about that"

Her father laughed, "I'm just keeping it real with you baby girl. I love your mother to death but we were teenagers when we had Junior, we loved him and each other but it was hard. I don't want that for you, I want you to be better than us"

Isabella looked at her father as he spoke to her, she was a daddy's girl and took pride in it. She cherished the ground her father walked on, anything she needed or wanted, her father provided, no questions asked. To her, he could do no wrong, any problem she had, he could fix. He was her superhero.

"I know daddy" was all she could say as she watched him from the porch

"I know you do Izzy, I've been preaching this shit to you since you were eight. Gotta make sure you straight, even when I'm not around". He said more to himself than her

Unbeknownst to his daughter and two sons, Ishmel was heavily involved within the drug game in Atlanta. He had begun dealing when he was a teenager to provide for his newborn son and girlfriend, he needed fast money and pushing weight was the quickest way to get it. His precise ways, admirable ambition, and his hunger for money, quickly led him up the drug chain. With the help of his uncle Kashton, who put him on game in the first place, Ishmel was now the head huncho in charge and he was only in his early 30's. He had the drug game in Atlanta on lock, even owned a few laundry matts around the city to wash his dirty money, all the street niggas and corner boys looked up to him. But with money, power, and respect, also came hatred and Ishmel knew there were niggas around the way plotting on him and his demise. He was always extra vigilant and protective of his wife and children, but with the way he was living, he knew everyday wasn't promised and he had to be okay with that even if he wasn't.

Isabella frowned, she didn't understand what her father meant when he spoke about him not being around. From her perspective, he would always be around, she couldn't see life without him. Before she could question him about it, he spoke

"Alright, I'm all done, this bike should ride like brand new" He announced as he stood the bike up and wiped sweat from his forehead with bottom of the black wife beater he wore

Isabella smiled with excitement, the chain on her bike had been broken for the past week. She was glad that her father finally had the time to fix it so she could ride around the neighborhood again.

"Come on over here Bella and give it a test ride" He urged her as he threw his tool box onto the porch

She followed her fathers directions and quickly walked off the porch and to her bike, she looked over it in satisfaction before hopping on.

"How does it feel"? Her father asked looking at her "Is it sturdy, you good?"

"Yeah, it's good." She answered before placing her foot on the right pedal "Thank you daddy."

Ishmel smiled, showcasing the gold grill that sat on his bottom row of teeth, his one and only daughter brought him a type of joy that he never felt before in his life. Being a good father to all three of his kids was a job he was determined to be good at but being a good father to his daughter was a job he had to be exceptional at.

"Anything for you baby girl, I love you." He kissed her forehead. "Go ahead and take a spin around the neighborhood, I'll be waiting for you when you come back, we can go get ice cream."

Ishmel planned to spend the day with his daughter since his wife La'Tasha took their sons Junior and Isaiah out to spend some time with them. The couple would often switch off and spend individual time with their children, they also liked to go out and have family days at least twice throughout the month. Even though Ishmel was busy running the streets most days, he always made sure to make time for his family.

Isabella smiled, "I love you too" was all she said before pedaling off down the street

As she rode her bike down the street, Isabella thought about what flavor ice cream she would get when they went to her favorite ice shop located downtown. She was happy to be spending the day with her father, she adored the father daughter bond that they shared and looked up to him in more ways than one. In Isabella's 10 year old mind, her daddy was her best friend.

Izzy hummed to herself as she got to the end of the street, it was only two o'clock in the afternoon so the neighborhood was fairly quiet. As she prepared to continue her bike ride to the next street, she heard two loud pops that rang in her ear and caused her to completely freeze. Her heart beat rapidly, for a moment all she could hear was the rhythmic thump of her heart, that was until she heard tires screeching. She quickly hopped off her bike and looked up the street towards her house to see a black SUV speeding off in the opposite direction, she squinted her dark brown eyes and zeroed in on a body laying on the front lawn of her household. A body she knew belonged to her father. Isabella let out a gut wrenching scream that made her entire body shake.

"Daddy!!!!!!" Isabella screamed out as she abandoned her bike and ran back down the street to her father

She had to save him was the only thing on her mind as she ran as if her life depended on it. Her chest was burning, and it felt like her knees wanted to give out, and tears ran down her face blurring her vision, but she had to get to her father. Time, unfortunately wasn't on her side though because when Isabella got to Ishmel, he was dead. His body was limp and lifeless and the once bright green grass was now dark red due to the blood leaking from his head. Two gunshots to the head took her fathers life and although Isabella wouldn't realize it until a few years later, that day something died inside of her too. How would she survive life without her Superhero?

                                      _____________________________________________

Thoughts?

Any ideas on how this book will play out?

I'm super excited for it, I already got some chapters written.

Read, vote, and comment.

See y'all in September for the first chapter.

With love and gratitude,

DP  💛