009. Vengeance Speaks

Start from the beginning

"Least you tried," Percy offers.

Michael shrugs. "Yeah, well, I called her some names when she said she still wouldn't fight. I doubt that helped. Here come the uglies!"

He draws an arrow, shooting in vaguely in the direction of the army. As it flies, the arrow lets out a horrific screaming, and as it lands, a blast is emitted, exploding cars, disintegrating monsters. 

"That was my last sonic arrow," Michael says. 

"A gift from your dad?" Percy asks. "God of music?"

Michael grins again. "Loud music can be bad for you. Unfortunately, it doesn't always kill."

Lila looks back toward the battlefield; most of the monsters that didn't disintegrate are getting back to their feet, blinking confusedly. 

"We have to fall back," Michael says. "I've got Kayla and Austin setting traps farther down the bridge."

Lila looks back toward that direction, but she can't see them. 

"No," Percy says. "Bring your campers forward to this position and wait for my signal. We're going to drive the enemy back to Brooklyn."

Michael laughs. He's way too happy for this. "How do you plan to do that?"

Percy pulls Riptide from his pocket, the glowing sword slipping into his hand seamlessly. 

Lila reaches for her spear. No way is he going alone. "We're coming with you." 

"She's right," Annabeth agrees. "You need all the help you can get." 

He shakes his head, meeting Lila's eyes, his own devoid of any amusement for once. "Too dangerous. Besides, I need you two to help Michael coordinate the defensive line. I'll distract the monsters. You group up here. Move the sleeping mortals out of the way. Then you can start picking off monsters while I keep them focused on me. If anybody can do all that, you can."

Michael snorts. "Thanks a lot."

Lila is already shaking her head. "No way." 

"It's too dangerous," he insists.

Annabeth nods reluctantly. "He's right, Li." To Percy, she says, "Get moving."

Percy nods, stepping away, before turning back to Lila. She smiles, for a moment forgetting that they're in the middle of a battle, leaning in to press a light kiss to the corner of his lip. "Don't die, please." 

"I'll try my best." He grins. 

She lightly hits his arm. "It's not funny." 

"You're smiling," he mutters quietly, his eyes alight. 

He steps out from behind the bus, out of it's cover. Lila can't see him, but she hears the Minotaur let out an echoing bellow, a sound that sends a shiver down her spine. It doesn't seem to have any effect on Percy, how yells back "Hey, Beef Boy, didn't I kill you already?"

"Okay," Annabeth resumes control. "You guys," she gestures to the Apollo campers, "start picking off monsters. Uh, try not to hit Percy." 

"Thanks, Annabeth," Michael says. 

"You and I are going to start moving the mortals out of the way," she tells Lila. "Hopefully without being killed. Maybe you can give me some cover with your shield, while I drag them out of their cars." 

Lila nods. "Should we move the cars too?"

Annabeth frowns. "For what?"

"I don't know. Those things are expensive. I don't think insurance will cover this."