Chapter Nineteen - Her Mom And Andrew's Plan

"I'll serve the appetizers," said Adelaide, getting up to go to the kitchen, eager to escape Thomas's interrogation. She could hear Sandy struggling to feed Charlie in the dining room, using all tactics to make him eat. Sarah was watching TV instead of eating, and it was obvious Sandy wanted her help with those two. She picked up the tray of appetizers that she had made with very little help from Sandra. Going to the living room, she served them to Thomas and Andrew disinterestedly, eager to escape to her room.

"Wow, have you made these?" asked Thomas, impressed more than before.

"Sandy and me."

"She made everything, actually. I only helped her a little," said Sandy, coming into the room, pulling a whining Charlie with her. Adelaide found her sudden appreciation a little suspicious and waited patiently to find out what was going on. Charlie extricated himself from his mother's hold and ran to Adelaide to hug her leg.

"Mommy gave me a boo-boo, Adel. Can you feed me, pwetty pease?" he sobbed and Adelaide picked him up in her arms, stroking his hair as he lay his head on her shoulder.

"Sure buddy, let's go," she said, walking away to the dining room. She could feel Thomas's gaze fixed upon her all the way. "Sarah, come and eat. I'll tell you two a jungle story." It worked like magic and Sarah switched off the TV and sat in the dining room to eat. Adelaide told them a story while feeding Charlie, and Sarah ate her food while listening to her with avid interest. It was clear how good she was with the kids. Thomas strolled into the dining room with her brother and Sandy following him.

He sat down beside her, watching her. "The children love you so much. How are you so good with them, Adelaide?" asked Thomas while Adelaide just smiled. Her naturally warm heart and sweet smile endeared her to everyone around her. She never had to make any effort with these two children. Her unconditional love was enough to make them love her. She never lost her patience or lashed out at them, as it wasn't in her nature to use violence, and the children loved that quality in her.

"I don't know. I just love them," answered Adelaide, feeding the last spoonful to Charlie while she ended her story.

"Thank you, Adelaide. I'll get these two ready for bed. Can you lay the table in the meantime?" asked Sandy.

"Sure." It was strange that Sandy suddenly thanked her in front of Thomas when she did more work every day, yet she never appreciated her efforts. She laid the table and went to the kitchen to get the food, with Thomas following her around. Her brother was busy on a phone call, and therefore, she was stuck with Thomas.

"Everything looks delicious, Adelaide. You're an excellent cook. I might change my mind and eat here every day." He laughed at seeing the horrified expression on her face.

"Of course, you're most welcome to eat here whenever you want, Thomas," said Andrew, coming into the kitchen for a change, immediately alerting Adelaide.

"Done. I'll have dinner here whenever I'm here in New York," said Thomas. "But Adelaide has to cook for me."

"Of course, she will," promised Andrew before she could say a word. She gave him a strained smile and carried the rest of the food to the table.

"I'm tired of eating gourmet food. I long for wholesome, home-cooked meals," Thomas said to Andrew.

"Ask your team of chefs to make it for you," suggested Andrew with a laugh.

"They can't cook simple home-cooked food."

"Chuck them out then and have your meals with us. Isn't that a better idea?" asked Andrew, as Adelaide laid the table, wondering why her brother was being so nice to his wealthy friend.