Chapter Thirteen - Rhett's Thoughtfulness

The next day, Adelaide drove to her hospital disappointed that Rhett hadn't come over to drop her off as he usually did. The moment she went into the nursing station, Ember grabbed her.

"Got you. Have you got me Rex's pics?"

"Yes, I have, but I'll forward them to you only if you let go of me," said Adelaide with a laugh. Ember released her immediately, waiting impatiently while she forwarded Rex's pics to her number.

"Check them out and keep a tissue ready for the drool. I'm off to see Renner." Ember stuck her tongue out at her. The whole day, Adelaide was too busy to check up with Ember. Even when her duty was over and she came over to the nursing station to collect her stuff and go home, Ember wasn't there. Finding her busy in the emergency unit, Adelaide left in a rush, but she felt disappointed at not seeing Rhett waiting for her outside. She had grown so used to him that not seeing him around made her miss him terribly. She dejectedly drove home, remembering she had to cook dinner for Rhett. Did he remember or not?

Upon reaching Granny's house, she parked her car and went inside. "Granny, I'm home," she announced, but to her surprise, she heard hushed whispers and chuckles. Who was her granny talking to? She looked into the dining room, but there wasn't anyone there. The sound was coming from the kitchen, it seemed. She walked towards the kitchen and peered inside, but her jaws dropped with surprise at seeing Rhett and Granny chuckling and cooking together.

"What are you doing here?" she asked him, still trying to recover from the shock. While she had been waiting for him all day, here he was making dinner for her!

"Cooking for you." Rhett chuckled, looking completely at home in their kitchen, his eyes sparkling with a strange fire in them. Dumbstruck by his thoughtfulness, Adelaide didn't have an answer to that and gazed into his beautiful eyes, hypnotized by them.

"Dinner's almost ready, freshen up dear," said her granny. Adelaide nodded and went to her room to take a quick shower, smiling at Rhett's unpredictable nature all the time. No wonder he didn't come over to the hospital to pick her up. She dried herself and changed into a wine-coloured fleece dress that was her favorite and went downstairs. Granny smiled at her while Rhett checked her out minutely, his hot gaze warming her all over.

Granny had already set the table, and she sat down to pray with everyone else before tucking into the delicious meal. The hearty zucchini and cabbage soup served with a wholesome slow cooker pot roast simply melted into her mouth.

"Who made this heavenly dinner?" she asked, looking from Rhett to granny and back, knowing very well that it was Rhett since she was quite accustomed to granny's style of cooking.

"Rhett did. He didn't let me do anything."

"Granny Emma guided me."

"It's perfect. I could get used to this." It was a slip of the tongue and Adelaide blushed profusely after having uttered it, glancing up to see the amused expressions on their faces.

"Marry him already," whispered granny with a chuckle, as if giving her some secret advice. Rhett chuckled too, while Adelaide wanted to disappear from the table out of embarrassment.

Later, Rhett talked about what kept him busy at the dairy farm the entire day while they both listened to him intently, impressed by his dedication to his work. Granny served her sour-cream custard pie, and they were all in praise of the delicious treat. After dinner, Rhett showed them the photographs he had printed of their outing. Adelaide loved all of them but wanted a few special photographs of her and Rhett together. "Please, can I have them?"

"What will you do with his pictures when you have him in flesh and blood?" asked Granny after they had seen all the pictures.

"Exactly," agreed Rhett.