Chapter Five - A Narrow Escape

Adelaide lay on her bed, thinking of Rhett's expressive blue eyes that twinkled every time he looked at her. She twirled her hair around her index finger, thinking of his candid admission. Did he really like her hair? She thought of the kiss that she missed, wondering if he would have kissed her if Granny's phone call hadn't interrupted them! A deep blush stained her cheeks, and she hid her face in her pillow, thinking about how it would feel to be kissed by Rhett. 'God, am I falling for him?' she whispered to herself, shocked at the prospect, since she had never imagined herself with anyone before. She lay dreaming about Rhett and eventually dozed off to sleep.

The next morning, she woke up late and had to rush to get to the hospital on time. With Granny Emma's truck still at the garage, she had no other option but to walk or maybe race down if she had to report on time.

"I'll never reach on time today. It's my fault, anyway. Why did I have to dream of him all night?" she muttered to herself, annoyed at herself.

"Thinking of me, Adelaide?" asked the deep voice from somewhere behind her, and she froze. Of course, she could recognize that voice even with her eyes closed, as she had heard it in her dreams all night! It was Rhett Wilson's! Was he talking inside her mind? She whirled around and her eyes met the twinkling blue ones of Rhett Wilson, standing right behind her with Thunderbolt. When did he arrive? She was so lost in her thoughts that she hadn't heard him come up.

"N-no, I was just thinking about what excuse to give our head nurse. I'm already so late," she complained.

"That won't be necessary. Thunderbolt and I can reach you in five minutes," he offered, while her eyes widened with surprise, looking down at her uniform. Was he offering to drop her on horseback?

"I'm wearing my uniform, " she pointed out, horrified at the idea. How would she sit on horseback wearing a nurse's uniform? It would ride up to show her panties!

"You can have a go at the side saddle," suggested Rhett.

"No time for changing saddles. Let's go. I'll manage, " said Adelaide. She had no wish to face Gretchen Renner, their scary Head Nurse.

Rhett mounted Thunderbolt and pulled up Adelaide just like he had done before. She sat right in front of him, her back flush against his hard chest, sending a tremor up her body at the contact. Her skirt hitched up, exposing her long smooth legs, drawing Rhett's attention toward them. His arms went around her to hold on to the reins, brushing against her waist, teasing her all the way to the hospital. Thunderbolt galloped away, but with every move, she could feel the ridges of his ripped body molded against her. The breeze blew over her face, but all she could feel was his hot breath blowing on her neck. His stubble brushed against her skin, causing a shiver to run down her spine. Finally, the torture ended, and they reached the hospital, all flushed and breathless. Rhett dismounted and held her by the waist, lifting her and placing her down gently as if she didn't weigh a thing.

"Thank you, Rhett," she said, releasing the breath she was holding, unable to meet his eyes out of embarrassment.

"I'll pick you up in the evening." Adelaide nodded, hoping that he would bring his truck instead. She wouldn't be able to face the sweet torture again without losing her control. He hesitated a little, as if wanting to say more, but mounted Thunderbolt and galloped away instead. Adelaide frowned, wondering what it was he wanted to say to her. She absent-mindedly dashed inside the hospital, straight to the nursing station.

"Adel, my God, you're five minutes late. Renner's hunting all around for you," said her friend Ember Fischer, who was a fellow nurse working at the same hospital. She was two years younger than Adelaide and lived with her grandparents near Fordsville marketplace.