ii • better than revenge

Alvar knew Legolas was only trying to help, and she appreciated that, but Tauriel would only cause headaches for both her and the King.

"But here in this kingdom, we will endure." Alvar could already smell the blood.

She saw Tauriel facing to leave, having already been put in her place by the king.

"My Lord, the report from today." Alvar said, making her presence known to the king.

"Yes, Tauriel has already informed me of the prisoners and that how home is safe." Thrandriul said, being interrupted from a thought that he pushed to the back of his mind. "You May go, Tauriel."

Tauriel watched Alvar give her a stern look as she passed by, making her way up the steps.

"My Lord, I'm sure whatever Tauriel said..." Alvar began to explain.

"Do not apologize for her actions. You cannot always take the fall for others." Thrandriul told her. He had adopted the young elf when she was very young, but Tauriel had never been someone so easy to handle.

"Well, then, I shall leave you." Alvar began to turn.

"Legolas said you fought well today." Thrandriul said before the captain could leave. Alvar paused at his words.

Hearing that Legolas mentioned her made her stop. Did they talk about her often? Did he talk about Tauriel the same way?

"He's grown very fond of you." Thrandriul pointed out, ignoring the girl who had been frozen where she stood.

"I assure you, My Lord... Legolas thinks of me as no more than a captain of the guard." Alvar said. The thought that maybe he saw her as more seemed impossible to her, Tauriel was the one he spent his days with.

"Perhaps he did once." Thrandriul said. He could see through his son, even when they were children and he always ran to find them during their training. "Now I'm not so sure."

Alvar wanted him to be right, but remembering how he watched out for Tauriel, listening to him talk about the dwarf with disgust when Tauriel felt flattered by him.

"I do not think you would allow your son to pledge himself to a lowly silvan elf." Alvar said, but fancied the idea in her head.

"No, you are right. I would not." Thrandriul said with very little tact for the young elf's pride and emotions. "Still, he cares about you. Do not give him hope where there is none."

Alvar sighed quietly. She meant to say something, but thought better of it when nothing polite came to mind. They were all spiteful comments directed towards a few different people.

Alvar went to check in the prisoners after her discussion with the king. She heard voices coming from the dungeon and decided to see what was going on.

She found Tauriel talking with one of the dwarves so she decided to stay quiet. A voice from beside cleared his throat. Alvar looked down at the blonde dwarf with many knives. She couldn't help the disgusted look on her face.

"They've been talkin' for a while now." The dwarf said. The blonde dwarf did not seem all that happy about the news he shared.

Alvar caught sight of the blonde elf, who was looking down at Tauriel and the dwarf. He did not seem to notice Alvar. In her eyes, he never did.

Alvar spared the blonde dwarf a final look before she kept walking up the steps. "Tauriel." Alvar said, getting her attention. "You still have a job to do." Alvar began to descend the dungeon steps, with Tauriel beginning to follow.

She didn't know if she should be happy. Tauriel seemed to care for that dwarf, even Alvar could see it in that short time they were talking. But she didn't want Tauriel to hurt Legolas.