Not Part of the Plan

May 31st, 2010

          Our walk to the golden gates was filled with discussion of how we would convince Heimdall to allow us to travel to the Jotunheim while attempting to discreetly prepare ourselves for the bitter cold without attracting more attention than was necessary. Several attendants assisted in our preparations, from saddling horses for our ride to Himinbjörg to passing us our weapons, freshly sharpened and polished.

   "So, how do you suggest for us to get past the golden gatekeeper," Sif asked Thor as she pulled her gloves on.

   "Have faith, Sif; Loki and I will handle everything."

   "I should like to see this for it will be no easy task," Volstagg muttered as he set his axes to his belt. "It is said that the gatekeeper can see a single drop of dew fall from a blade of grass a thousand worlds away."

   "Yes, and he can hear a cricket passing gas in Niffelheim," Fandral laughed as he finished pulling his fur-lined gloves on.

   "Jest not! He heareth all," Volstagg warned as he wrapped his cloak around his shoulders, passing an extra fur to Sif.

   "Please, getting past him should be simple enough now; since he seems to be letting Frost Giants sneak by under his nose," Fandral grasped my shoulders, shaking me as he laughed, nearly knocking my daggers from my grasp as I shook my head.

   As Volstagg begged that no offense be taken to the sky, I took the moment to sneak aside corning one of the guards lining the gates while the others headed toward their horses. I motioned him closer, keeping my voice soft. "You are to go to Odin the moment you can no longer see us upon the bridge; tell him that we have gone to the Jotunheim. He will know what to do from there. Understood?"

   The man nodded, bowing slightly before stepping back into line with the others while I ran to catch up. Hogun shot me a look as I mounted my mare yet said nothing. I would need to be leerier of the silent barbarian. Thor turned from his white steed, a greater cliché there could not be, smiling charmingly before he turned his horse and took off down the bridge Sif close behind. As we rode, we battled for position, her ever-cold stare spurring me on as I continued to keep her from taking up a place beside my brother. Our ride across the great sea was swift, the wind helping to keep us cool in the warm evening air. The great golden observatory stood within our sight then as we slowed our gallop to a canter, slowing further within the last few yards until we came to a stop a hundred or so feet from the ever-watchful warden.

   "Please tell me a plan has been decided upon," Sif muttered as we dismounted.

   "Keep your weapons sheathed and your mouths shut," I said. "This is going to take subtlety and sincerity, not brute strength. Leave it to me."

   "This should be good..."

   Paying her ill temper no mind, I stepped forward smiling as charmingly as I knew how. "Good Heimdall-"

   "You are not dressed warmly enough," he boomed, his deep voice quiet despite its monotonous authority.

   "I'm sorry?"

   "The freezing cold of Jotunheim; it would kill you all in time, even Thor." His golden eyes seemed to burn holes into me as the slightest smirk fell to his lips. "You think you can deceive me? I who watches all, I who has stood here since the dawn of time; who can sense the flapping of a butterfly's wing across the cosmos, or even hear a cricket passing gas in Niffelheim..." He trailed off then as his gaze turned to a bewildered and worried Fandral.

   "That, that was just a bit of jest..."

   I chuckled, trying to break the tension despite enjoying watching Fandral stew. "Heimdall, you must be mistaken, we are not-"