Deception

Descending the short stair to the main curtain, the two attendants gave me a quizzical look as I passed, simply nodding at them muttering that my brother would be along in a moment. They glanced over to the ones waiting to open the curtains for Mother and Eibhlin before shrugging and parting them for me as they did the ones on the side. Closing my eyes and lifting my arms in a carefully orchestrated display of showmanship, I grinned out into the crowd, yet it was not the normal 'oohs' and 'ahhs' that I heard in response to Mother and me, but gasps and murmurs. I opened my eyes to see what had garnered such a reaction only to see all eyes, including those of my worried Mother, drifting to my right.

   Eibhlin timidly stepped out from the alcove she had been hidden within and I instantly understood exactly why the reaction was as it was. Not only was she beautiful, she was different. Many of those standing in the back with us were those who lived on the outer skirts of Asgard, they were not regulars to the castle grounds nor the marketplace; for them, my dog-eared sister was quite the spectacle. They saw her at face value, focused on all the wrong things; they did not know her heart as I did, nor would they ever, given the way they looked at her. That all changed though as I took her hand. There was an eerie hush that seemed to fall over the crowd as she met me at the center of the aisle just as she had been told to, our eyes meeting as she gazed up at me.

   "Just breathe, Little Dove," I told her, noticing how she was holding her breath as she anxiously stared out into the hall as we turned to face the large ornate throne at the opposite end of the room. "Head high, I will not let you fall."

   She nodded at me, though I was not fully sure she knew she had. She was like a beautiful deer in lanternlight, simply going through the motions as she stared out into the crowd held back by red velvet ropes and the Einherjar. Eibhlin took my hand slowly, her soft fingertips sliding across my palm and setting my soul aflame with desire. If her touch here was this soft and light, I could only imagine her touch elsewhere when not in a crowded room. I steadied myself; now was not the time for such thoughts, yet as we walked, my gaze continued to linger on her.

   I watched her reaction to the cheers of the crowd as we proceeded forward, a small smile pulling at my face growing ever wider in the growing cheers of the crowd. I wanted to stop and demand they all say my name, yet even in a jovial way, Mother would have had my head for such. I nodded at a few ladies who swooned and winked at a few men who happened to do the same, though less boastfully. Yet nothing managed to catch my attention more than Hlíf's voice rising above the entire crowd, her kitchen mistress' projection abilities serving her well at this moment, as she called out to Eibhlin before blowing her the proudest of kisses.

   "I knew there were others who adored you as much as Mother," I grinned widely at the heartful display, teasing her as I leaned close, one of her ears softly brushing against my cheek.

   "Odd that you would not include yourself in such a statement," she fired back making my grin widen as a shiver rolled down my spine coming to rest in my loins.

   "Who says I am not," I whispered into her ear; the desire to run my lips over such delicate features only building as she giggled.

   Regaining my composure was not easy as I stood before Father; harder still as I could not help watching Eibhlin curtsey before the All-Father, giving me access to see down her dress to the tops of glorious mounds of soft-looking, freckled flesh. I swallowed hard, regretting my decision to escort her, yet not wanting anyone to know. Releasing her hand was different from releasing Mother's, there was almost a feeling of despair that washed over me; a painful fear that I would never hold such a hand again. As I followed Mother in her golden dress up the stairs, I could hear Eibhlin softly counting, an adorable and welcome distraction from Fandral's drunken antics.

Between the Linesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें