Arrival

September, 1919

          Three days. She had promised to return within three days from her trip to the mortal realm to bless the newborns and the mothers as was her supposed duty. I rolled my eyes, slamming my book on natural fibers and colorants of the eighteenth century. Duty... I scoffed internally, looking about my room to count the remaining candles; what duty did we have to the mortals anyway?

   I rose, checking my drawer of backup candles with a frown; I would need to let Trygve know I required more. I had withered most of them down over the last few months going over the plays of Shakespeare that Mother had brought me back the last time she had left me in Father's care. It was the only good thing about her trips to Midgard: she never failed to bring me back something new to read. With a sigh, I looked in the mirror. My eyes were weary from my lack of sleep, yet that was nothing new; the bit of candle soot that had smudged my cheek and the side of my nose though, that would need to go.

   As I gathered the washcloth to wet my face the door to my room burst open with great bang, sending several unlit candles to the floor, along with at least a dozen books. "Do you ever knock?"

   "Sorry, Brother," Thor said, bending to collect my things as he tossed them towards my bed haphazardly. I could have murdered him on the spot as I watched several scrolls on botany and anatomy from Alfheim that could not be replaced soar through the air.

   I hurled myself towards the bed, carefully catching them in my outstretched tunic to cradle them down gently as I glared coldly. "Have you no consideration for history?"

   "They are just bits of paper. I do not understand the fuss..." I growled at him as he shrugged, smiling stupidly as he picked up a few pieces of my multekarameller from the little bowl I kept beside my window where I enjoyed reading most. "Moffer's on her vay 'ack," he said around a mouth full of sweet caramel.

   I felt my lips twitch as I fought the grin, still trying to maintain my look of annoyance until he got the message. "Thank you. Did Father say where we should meet to head to Himinbjörg to await her arrival?"

   Thor shook his head, his blonde hair falling into his blue eyes. "He thaid we thould wait for her in the throne room."

   I cringed as he tried to pick at the sticky orange mess in his mouth first with his tongue, then with his finger. "Ugh, yes. Right. I will meet you there then. Thank you for the message, brother." I ushered him and his sticky hands out of my room as quickly as I could, wondering how at nine-hundred and nine years old he could still manage to be so childish.

   I washed my face quickly, pausing as I went to hang the towel back up as Thor's words hit me. Father wanted us to wait for Mother in the throne room? Why? We had always met her at the observatory with open arms, this seemed a rather off-putting and cold greeting. Had something happened? I thought about disobeying to make sure she was alright, but given that Father had already been upset with me once earlier for reading during dinner, I decided that it was better to just wait.

   Slicking my hair back, I smiled at how it was almost long enough to put into a tie like Father's. I may never be his preferred son, but perhaps I could win him over with my intellect and reserved qualities. Grabbing the drawing I had made for her of the Black Magic flower, or Cosmos Atrosanguineus, and rolling it carefully so I could tuck it up into my sleeve away from Father's sight, I hurried off towards the throne room.

   It felt like forever as we stood on either side of the small, egg-shaped throne in the main receiving room where Father would address the Lords and Ladies of the court, give orders to the Einherjar, and just generally run the nine realms. It was not as ornate as the one in the grand hall where one day Thor or I would be announced as his heir before all of Asgard. While I already foresaw it being Thor, a part of me hoped that I had not been counted out just yet. Particularly when I was standing there patiently as he fiddled with Father's spear, nearly knocking it from its floating holder.

   I shook my head as he shot Thor a look, only to end up smiling at him; ruffling his hair as he softly chuckled. Had that been me, I would have been sent from the room; denied the right to see my Mother's face until breakfast, if I was even allowed that. The thought left a bitter taste on my tongue that I swallowed quickly as I heard footsteps in the hall.

   Craning my neck around Father's arm, I watched the doors as the first knight of the king's guard entered announcing her and... a guest? I looked to Father and then back toward the door as I heard him mutter to us to not make a sound, nor to move a muscle. Both of which Thor ignored as he called out to Mother as she neared, waving at her and the wild-looking girl as they moved closer. I moved to stealthily wave as well when I spotted the girl's ears; like those of an Asgardian wolf sticking straight up out of her matted auburn tendrils.

   "Look Loki, Mother has brought us a dog," Thor exclaimed excitedly around the back of the throne.

   "Shhh," I glared, hushing him assertively. "That's not a dog, it is a young girl. Now, be quiet."

   I heard him mutter an 'oh' as he pulled back around, his head tilting as he stared at the strange-looking girl who couldn't have been a day older than me if she even was as old as I was. She was not unfortunate looking, just horribly filthy in a tattered grey dress, her undergarments peeking through the large holes in what was left of her skirt; her face, hands, and bare feet caked in dirt and what looked like dried blood in places. She shook, hugging herself uncomfortably as her mostly green hazel eyes darted around the room occasionally coming to meet mine before I could turn away.

   "My sons, my love; oh how I have missed you," Mother said as she swept up the stairs; almost floating like the angel she was. I moved to embrace her, quickly shoved aside by Thor. I waited, impatiently for my turn, wrapping my arms around her tightly as she smiled at me. "I have someone I would like you both to meet," she clasped my hand in hers, taking Thor's in her others as she began to walk us down the stairs towards the feral-looking, dog-eared girl. "This is Eibhlin, she is to be your new sister; I expect you both to treat her with great care and respect. She has been through a great deal and will need some time to acclimate to not only all of us but to Asgard. I hope you will help me in making her feel welcome." She urged us then to hug her as we both hesitated, staring at her instead.

   Eibhlin, as Mother called her, was slightly taller than both of us yet far thinner with just the slightest hint of developing breasts. Her lips were shapely, like two soft pillows though the bottom was much fuller than the top one; her nose was a bit on the wider side, yet still, relatively small, button-shaped with an ever so slight upturn that reminded me of the elves of the Alfheim. Much else of her features were hidden by all the dirt and the fact she refused to hold our eyes for long, preferring to look down at her small, mud-covered feet.

   With a great clearing of his throat, Father rose, quickly ordering us away. I could see a dark look momentarily wash over Mother's face before she smiled softly at us all, nodding at us each in turn and promising to be there to tuck us into bed shortly. I watched as she turned and hurried back up the stairs, quickly and quietly beginning to bicker with the old man. Sighing, I turned back around to see Thor smiling at the girl as he wandered off, always the good little soldier. I remained though, studying her further as I listened to them argue.

   "She would have died if I had left her there," Mother pleaded quietly as Father glared at her, his eye darting down to where I stood beside the girl.

   "That is not our concern, Frigga-"

   "Perhaps it is not your concern-"

   "Do your best to drown him out; I do," I offered as I saw her struggling, fidgeting nervously more and more as she began to pick at the dirt under and around her nails. I wanted to hug her, or at the very least touch her shoulder and let her know it was going to be okay since she looked as if she might cry. This wasn't my area though and the longer she stared at me, the more I became uncomfortable. I wanted to know what she was thinking and it would have been more than easy to have found out; Mother had made me promise though not to use my ability for telepathy without permission from the person I was to look into the mind of. Seeing as this girl was so new, I doubted she'd understand nor want me invading her mind. Still, there was a heavy sadness that oozed off of her that almost made me consider breaking my promise...

   I sighed, wiggling my nose as I did before I walked off without another word. I could no longer stand there and listen to them argue about her, nor could I look into her big eyes, those beautiful pleading eyes without hating myself for not being able to help in the slightest. I felt like a coward, but maybe my silence was for the best. Knowing Father, she most likely wouldn't be around long.