The Course of True Love Never Did Run Smooth

June 24th, 1995

          Åkervekking... Sif's favorite holiday and the one she had chosen to enact her poorly concocted plan. Perhaps I was placing too much blame upon her shoulders as I had jumped upon the chance to create several hiccups within Father's perfect plans for Thor. Yes, it was petty, and jealous, and a list of at least a thousand other tawdry things, yet I felt every one of them. For so long I had watched from the shadows as Father had favored Thor. Always choosing him to enter last, to light the candles or give the toasts during our private holiday celebrations; even the colors he chose to press upon us were a direct reflection of how he had chosen Thor without announcing such.

   The hatred I felt toward my father for pitting us against one another so obviously was something I did not feel any regret for, the bitterness and jealousy it left me holding for my brother, though, that I did regret. I did not want to hate Thor, if anything, I admired him- for Bor's sake I wanted to be just like him, as inane as that sounded. I was superior in many ways, yet I still could not attain the recognition from Father that I so rightfully deserved. Could he not see that I had ever wanted was to continue to be my brother's equal, to be as valuable as Thor to him...

   I sighed, bitterly adjusting the black leather saberist jerkin that had been made for the occasion, the asymmetrical cut and three bracket-style buttons on the outside gave it a unique look that parried well with the emerald tunic I wore beneath it. It was a light outfit, perfect for the evening's festivities where I'd be paraded about by Sif from bonfire to bonfire as we welcomed in Sankthanks. I glowered into the mirror, putting on my best fake smile and quickly wishing that I had not agreed so quickly to behave.

   A soft knock came at my door, emitting a groan from deep within me. "Sif, I understand the importance of this evening, however, I believe you have failed to understand the ideology behind the need for absence within a relationship."

   "It is not Lady Sif, Your Highness," a familiar lilting, alto voice called through the door. I felt the small smile pulling at my lips as the tension left my shoulders.

   With a deep breath, I stormed over to the door and threw it open, my face blank once more. "What is it? Can you not see I am busy?"

   Her green eyes were stern, the touch of honey that danced within them becoming sharper with her irritation despite the warm smile on her plump lips. Eibhlin rudely shoved past me, a basket of folded linens in her olive-toned, bespeckled arms that peaked from the billowing sleeves of her simple kitchen dress, muttering about how she would only be a moment.

   "This is not your job," I half bellowed, quickly kicking a pair of my braies under the nearest bookshelf. I hurriedly hid a bowl of hardened porridge under several books as well while she called back that Frida had injured herself on the back stairs so she was helping to complete some of her tasks today until things could be sorted after the festival. The last thing I wanted was for her to think I was a complete and utter slob; a master of controlled and organized chaos, sure, but a pig? Certainly not!

   She looked so beautiful in blue, as much as I hated to admit it; the color just made her large round eyes shimmer more and her hair seem to radiate with warmth. Both of which caused a greater amount of desire to rise within me than I cared to admit, just as the sight of her bent over my bed did as she quickly stripped my sheets and began to put fresh ones down.

   I cleared my throat, perhaps more audibly than was necessary yet I had to make sure I continued the necessary façade that I could barely stand her; more so now that I would be pretending to be in a relationship with Sif.

   "So, it is true then. You and Lady Sif?" Her voice was flat, not particularly cold yet not carrying its typical warmth either.

   "Oh, um. Yes. I would request that you kept such confirmation to yourself however until she and I have made our announcement this evening." She just nodded at me, not looking up as she pulled the sheets tight to the mattress; stooping to gather the feathers that had come out of the base layer to plop into the fire for an easy clean-up solution. "Will I see you in the gardens tonight," I asked, my voice a bit more hopeful than I had meant to sound.