Draco's eyes welled up. "Thank you, Fox. It really means a lot to me," he said, pulling her into a warm hug.

(...)

Cassiopeia descended the stairs elegantly alongside Draco, her white pearl dress shimmering under the ballroom lights. The room was filled with people, a mix of pure-bloods, politicians, and even the dreaded Rita Skeeter, the gossip journalist from the Daily Prophet.

The ballroom was richly decorated with red velvet curtains, gleaming chandeliers, and a large dance floor in the center. Lively music filled the air, inviting everyone to dance and celebrate. Tables scattered around the ballroom were adorned with lavish floral arrangements and shining silverware.

Narcissa was a magnificent sight in her blue dress, the fabric flowing around her body like liquid, perfectly enhancing her curves. Her hair, split into two colors, was elegantly styled in a sophisticated updo. She held her mask delicately in one hand while talking to the Minister's wife.

Lucius, next to Narcissa, displayed his characteristic charm in an elegant suit. His hair was perfectly arranged with a black bow, and he wore a mask with peacock details, which elicited a slight teasing smile from Cassiopeia. It was typical of him to be a show-off.

When Cassi and Narcissa's gazes met, the world around them seemed to disappear. Narcissa stopped paying attention to the conversation and gracefully approached Cassiopeia, gliding through the ballroom with grace.

"Darling, you're... Breathtaking," Narcissa gasped as she looked Cassiopeia up and down.
Cassi blushed at the intensity of the gaze but soon gave a radiant smile.

"Have you seen yourself? You're the most beautiful woman here," she playfully winked, surveying the room, confirming her point. Undoubtedly, Narcissa was the most dazzling.

"Come, let me introduce you properly to the others," Narcissa requested, offering her arm.
Cassiopeia was introduced to several pure-blood families and felt slightly uncomfortable with the intrusive gazes she received. It was as if they saw her as an object to be conquered. Narcissa also didn't seem to appreciate the lack of subtlety from the guests and kept a possessive touch on her waist.
But then, the cursed gossip journalist appeared to strike up a conversation.

"Ah, Lady Malfoy, and the lost seed of the Blacks," she said, jotting something down with her magical quill.

"Cassiopeia Gaunt Black, I have a name," Cassi replied, biting back the smile and lifting her chin as her mother had taught her.

Rita jotted something down again and looked between the two. "I see you're taking responsibility for your family's heir, Lady Malfoy," she said maliciously over her glasses.
"Are you planning to arrange a marriage with the Malfoy heir?" she asked, ready to jot something else down.

Narcissa looked livid and held Cassi closer.

"I suppose it would be the deal of the century, wouldn't it? The Princess of Slytherin upholding the Black family tradition," the woman said with malice.

"Actually, Draco and I are just great friends," Cassi replied calmly with an aristocratic smile. "I already have feelings for someone else."

Rita was thrilled by this and began writing frantically with her quill.

"Oh, and do we know who the lucky wizard is? Or lucky witch?" she asked, getting closer in excitement. "I recall a certain involvement with a French half-veela."

Cassi played along to mock the woman, without her knowing.

"It's a secret," she whispered conspiratorially.
The blonde woman's jaw dropped.