Chapter 8

"So, Mason Lockwood's a werewolf," said Damon to Percy, who didn't even look surprised.

"Great. Another monster," she scoffed.

Damon was silent for a while. "Do you think I'm a monster?"

Percy gave a start. "No... I meant... I don't think all vampires are monsters. Some of them are good. I wouldn't have befriended you if I thought you were a monster now, would I?" She gave a sheepish grin. "That was a stupid explanation."

When the vampire didn't reply, she continued. "I mean, I was thinking of Caroline - how she killed that man - she didn't seem to realize the consequences of what she did."

"Caroline is a newly turned vampire. She didn't have control over herself. Not that I'm defending her - I wanted to kill her, as you know - but we've all done bad things," said Damon.

"I understand. I've done things too - things that I'm not proud of." Percy thought of time she tortured Achlys, back in Tartarus. Annabeth had seemed almost afraid of her, as she begged for her to stop.

"Anyway, are you coming to the Historical Society Volunteers Day?" Damon asked, changing the topic.

"Yeah. Mom and Paul volunteered to go, and I'm going with them. I want to get out of the house for a bit."

"Good. I have something I need to tell you."

"Why don't you just tell me now?"

"I can't." He eyed Stefan who was sitting on the couch, pretending that he couldn't hear every word they were saying.

"Okay. I get it. I'll see you then."

"See you."

Later that day, Percy found herself in Paul's car, on her way to the volunteer thing. She wasn't quite sure as to what it was, but decided to go if it means getting out the house.

"I'm starting to realize this town consists mainly of events and parties. We have been here for like, what, two weeks, and there have been at least five events."

"Well, this is not New York," Paul answered.

Percy scoffed slightly. THAT was an understatement.

"I like it," said Sally with a soft smile. "I heard there's a masquerade party in two days."

"We should definitely go," said Paul. He looked at Percy via the rearview mirror. "So, Percy, what do you say?"

"Sure," replied Percy. "Sounds fun."

"You went to one right?" Paul asked nicely. "I remember you mentioning a while back that you did."

She nodded. "Yeah. In Olympus, before the First War. But they weren't masquerades."

There had been three of them and all three of them were painful remainders, as to how life had been before Tartarus. Before the Second Giant War.

The first had been when she was thirteen. A reward for rescuing Artemis. She had spent all the party dancing with Annabeth.

And it was in that same party that Athena had told her what her fatal flaw was. They never really got along. The goddess thought that Annabeth deserved better friends. And all the while, Percy was thinking that Annabeth deserved a better mother. And now she had to spend all of eternity with her dysfunct godly family.

But she couldn't speak, Poseidon hadn't really been father #1 of the year. But back then, she had always convinced herself that he was a busy god.

Of course, now that the wars were over, and she wasn't a mortal anymore, she could see him whenever she wanted to.