Chapter Eight: Surprises

After prying Mason off of his leg, Drew and the wolf hopped back into the carriage. It was midnight when they arrived at the familiar tall forest. Like always, the wolf followed him until the omega climbed through his window. The animal took one last glance before dashing into the night.

The next morning, Drew woke up early to prepare himself mentally. Taking an extra two pills and smoothing out his uniform, he met Connor near the entrance of the servants' quarters. They made their way to the ballroom after eating a bowl of bland oatmeal.

"I miss my mom's cooking so much," Connor grumbled as they weaved through the crowd. "That oatmeal literally tasted like shit."

Drew laughed. "I know right? I would have rather eaten paper than that thing they called oatmeal."

The blonde sighed. "I knew they needed us in that kitchen."

The words made Drew giggle as they stopped in front of two grand doors. It was the same room where Drew found out his mate was Prince Orion.

Now that it was mostly empty, the gold was dull and cold, like it was waiting for someone to love their detailed walls. The only people occupying the space were the head servant and a few other werewolves, who were on top of ladders and dusting. When the head servant turned and spotted them, their lips twitched upwards.

"Andrew, Connor!" they exclaimed, using their hand to motion the omegas towards them.

Drew and Connor walked towards the smiling werewolf.

"Great to see that you've arrived early. You see, the prince has very specific preferences, so it takes an hour or so for me to go over them all," the head servant explained.

Drew raised an eyebrow at that.

A minute later, he and Drew were given a detailed tour of the large ballroom and the rooms connected to it. There were many bedrooms, which wasn't a surprise after the head servant explained it was for guests who wanted to... do it. The words made Drew blush and they quickly changed subjects.

He wished he could say that the portion where the head servant, who he finally learned was named Dakota, stated off every single one of Prince Orion's preferences, but the reality was that Drew loved learning more about his mate. No matter how much his brain told him to stop, the omega (and especially Erin) kept the information deep in his heart like sacred jewels.

Connor was the opposite. His shoulders were slumped and his lips were in a straight line for the entire hour and a half. Every now and then he would look towards Drew, silently begging the omega to help him escape. However, Drew was busy silently processing and organizing the information in his head.

After the long lecture, Dakota gave them their first task.

"Here. Give these to Lira. She's the redhead next to the first set of stairs," they said as they handed red colored candles to Connor. The omega nodded and walked over to Lira, who was letting down one of the giant glass chandeliers.

"And Drew, can you put these in the main closet on the third floor? His highness didn't like them." Dakota asked, turning to hand the omega a stack of silver plates. "Sorry, I know it's a bit far away."

Drew shook his head. "It's okay. It's my job after all."

The head servant sent him a genuine smile before leaving to check how the kitchen staff was doing. Drew hoisted the plates higher so he would have an easier time carrying them. He had to tilt his to the side in order to see in front of himself.

The omega slowly climbed up two sets of stairs, staying close to the railing so he wouldn't be in the way of the other servants. When he finally made it to the third floor, he was sweating. He took a short break to compose himself before continuing his way to the closet.